Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried sushi for the first time this past weekend and loved it. However, I didn't order it, some other girls in the group did. I was wondering, for those less cultured than I, what is good and what is bad in the sushi world? For example, are there any types of rolls I should avoid?

Unfortunately, I only remember the name of one of the sushi rolls I tried, and it was the Spicy Tuna roll (mmmmm). The other had salmon in it, that I know.

So, any advice would be great. I would LOVE to have more, but I'm a little scared of what I don't know. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I like to try new foods but I'm a little hesitant to eat raw fish, not because it's raw, I think because it's more of a cleanliness and the freshness of the fish issue. I think I'm afraid of parasites. My co-worker is Japanese. One year she brought in some homemade ??? I forget what it was, but it wasn't made with fish. It was rolled up like sushi with seaweed. It was good and I particularly liked the wasabi sauce. I thought it was cool that her mom took the time to prepare the dish so I made sure I tasted it. I'm ready for any tips anyone can offer too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Most people like California rolls. They are yummy!

As far as sushi goes, I've had eel, red snapper, and something else I don't remember. The eel was yummy, and I like the snapper but DH didn't.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
reprot said:
I like to try new foods but I'm a little hesitant to eat raw fish, not because it's raw, I think because it's more of a cleanliness and the freshness of the fish issue. I think I'm afraid of parasites. My co-worker is Japanese. One year she brought in some homemade ??? I forget what it was, but it wasn't made with fish. It was rolled up like sushi with seaweed. It was good and I particularly liked the wasabi sauce. I thought it was cool that her mom took the time to prepare the dish so I made sure I tasted it. I'm ready for any tips anyone can offer too.
If you don't like raw, you should get shrimp tempera. It is deep-fried and crunchy

·
Registered
119 Posts
My advice when it comes to sushi is ... only buy from places that have a fast turnaround. I'd never buy/eat sushi from the mall, for example, unless it was at a restaurant and not a fast food joint.

Some of the higher-end restaurants will have specials like live scallops that are guaranteed fresh (since they can't always get certain products at times). Look for a good sushi restaurant, and you can try anything you like without worry.

I like spider rolls. And unagi rolls.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Anything with shrimp or crab will be cooked and should be ok.

I started out eating sushi with a girlfriend who did not eat any fish products. We often got the vegetable tempura rolls or various other vegetable ones. The tempura ones were the best of that batch.

I slowly graduated into more "risky" things like tuna and salmon. Salmon rolls are pretty much the only form of salmon I can tolerate.

My favorite roll is currently called a Naruto roll locally. I tried it initially because of the name, Naruto being a TV show I kind of enjoy (maybe unrelated). I believe it is eel and some sort of roe wrapped in rice and then the whole thing is wrapped in cucumber. The cucumber gives it a nice texture.

I would actually avoid eel and any sort of roe and stick to fish initially. Eel does not always taste great at first (and to me not at all in some cases).

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I really only eat the cooked sushi, which I heard really isn't sushi since it isn't raw. Most everyone loves California Rolls, I love spicy tuna and cucumber rolls, etc. Anything cooked basically :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
kitkat said:
I really only eat the cooked sushi, which I heard really isn't sushi since it isn't raw. Most everyone loves California Rolls, I love spicy tuna and cucumber rolls, etc. Anything cooked basically :lol:
It's still sushi. Maybe not "real" sushi, in quotes like that. When people say it they'd have to use air quotes. Then it might be right. But sushi without any cool quotes or air quotes just refers to vinegared rice.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I go out, I'll get a Box with california rolls, avacado rolls and my personal favorite, Unagi which is freshwater eel, it's cooked and awesome

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm a "hard-core" sushi lover. My favorites are saba (mackerel), unagi (teriyaki eel), fatty tuna, yellowfish, tuna, salmon, salmon skin (fried), and octopus. I'm sure I've tried other kinds, but I can't think of any other fish off the top of my head. I love sushi so much that I usually order a "chirashi" when I go to a Japanese restaurant. Chirashi is a sushi dish with several different types of sliced fish over sushi rice (cold rice mixed with rice vinegar and other seasonings).

I also like rolls from time to time, but they usually don't have a lot of sushi in them, so I feel like I"m wasting my money on rice and seaweed.

If you are going to have sushi, don't go any sushi places in a mall. I think that's the first rule. Sushi restaurants found in malls usually don't have fresh fish nor do they make decent sushi. Make sure to research the sushi restaurant you are going to. I live in San Francisco and it's not too difficult to find a good Japanese restaurant that serves excellent sushi. I'm sure it's much more difficult finding good Japanese restaurants in other parts of the country.

Lastly, sushi is an acquired taste. I use to hate it, but the more I've tried it, the more I loved it. Be open minded and try different things. If it looks weird, try it anyway. You never know, you might just love it! Happy sushi eating.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ummm... Sushi.... *drooling* (channeling Homer Simpson)

I love the stuff! I haven't had it in a long time, now that you all mention it. Maybe I'll get some this weekend. My favorites: spicy tuna, salmon, unagi, california, shrimp tempura, and dragon (eel with shrimp, and avocado wrapped around the outside).

I also love edemame (spelling?) - steamed soy beans with lots of salt. Such a yummy appetizer! And miso soup! Can't forget the soup.

Yep, I'm hungry now.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
One of you people who know your way around sushi need to meet me at a good restaurant and tell me what to order!! Years ago one of my husband's co-workers who was from Tiawan brought some sushi to the company picnic and it was absolutely awesome. So many people wouldn't even try it, but that meant more for me. 8)
I have never meant a piece of fish or seafood I didn't like, so I think I would probably like most of it. The problem is I am the only one I know who will even consider eating it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
some of the best sushi I've ever gotten was from 'Sushi Boat' which is found in most malls. Though the Fish market has a special place in my heart. Tim took me there our first Valentine's Day, I'd never eaten sushi before and it was his last resort 'cause he wasn't used to having to reserve a table at resteraunts for dates :)

Cafe Nagano in San Francisco is awesome too, they give you SO much, the edamame, a spicy tofu soup, miso soup, extras AND your meal

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the sushi at Sushi Boat places. Funny that I say that b/c we just ate at the Sushi Boat restaurant in Japantown for dinner tonight. Next time you're in SF, Cassandra, go to Japantown and eat at Fuku Sushi. It's the best sushi I've had--well, for that much money, it should be good!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Awesome, I might try it tomorrow! :) Thanks for the tip!

edit: I just looked it up online. OMG! I am definitely going there tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
cassandra!

My bf and I went to Nagano sushi today and we were not disappointed. For the price, it was excellent sushi! I had the chirashi (of course) and they gave me more fish than i could handle!! I wish they gave me more sushi rice, but oh well. We will defintely go there again.

You should still try Fuku Sushi. If you think Nagano is good, you will LOVE Fuku!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts