Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my 6-year-old autistic son unravelled 3 cassette tapes, and he told me later that the cat had eaten some of the tape. I was a bit concerned, because the cat did vomit some food that night. But afterwards Duma was frisky as usual. Then this morning he vomited a good sized serving of cassette tape. I'm guessing that this whole deal is over with now, because Duma seems happy and has a good appetite. Has anyone else had a cat swallow cassette tape?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Animals swallowing such items is VERY dangerous until it is COMPLETELY out of his/her system. It can get tangled in the intestines. I suggest taking your cat to the vet asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Tape like this has very sharp edges and can really shred the intestines if it gets down there. Hopefully he got it all out. If so, it's not an emergency this minute, but if not, it could become an emergency quickly.

Watch him very closely for vomiting, diarrhea, or poor appetite; if any of these occur, he needs to get to the vet immediately.

Why he ate it, who knows? Some cats like the taste of photographic film, others like to chew on plastic, you never can tell with cats!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update on Duma

On the advice I received earlier, I took Duma to the vet this morning. An X-Ray revealed a foreign body, and now he's under observation at the vet hospital to see if he'll pass it safely. If it doesn't move within about 24 hours, we're looking at surgery.

I just feel sick. We've had Duma for exactly 2 weeks. I feel terrible that this has happened to him, and I feel like a bad owner, even though I know I shouldn't.

Thanks for the advice. I know things could have gotten ugly quickly if I hadn't taken him in to the vet, especially since this is the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all is well

Duma spent quite a while at the vet's, but he never got any symptoms of any kind of problem. Except that he just never passed anything. Finally they sent him home because nothing showed up on the X-ray any more, and he was so obviously feeling great. He is his usual frisky self.
Thanks for caring,
Betsy
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top