Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about one of my cats. She is a small white cat that is almost exactly one year old. She has been spayed (not sure if that is relevant to my situation). She is also an indoor cat, all of my cats are.

She has had this reoccuring "wound" on her neck. It starts out as a bald spot where the hair falls out. It is less than the size of a dime, maybe half that size, but it does get bigger (never larger than dime size). The wound is always in the same spot. It gets reddish and will bleed (possibly from her licking or scratching at it).

The wound is back again, and now there is one on the side of her face, opposite of the one on her neck. The veternarian tells us it is an allergy. After a while the one on her neck disappears, usually 2 weeks or so. None of my other cats have this problem.

My question is what does this sound like to you? Is there anything we can do? Should I try another veterinarian? I don't want her to wind up with a huge infected place. She has gotten an allergy shot each time, but honestly I don't think it did anything. We put some of the stuff called "Yuck" that stops them from licking onto her wound. She still licks it.

I will upload a picture later. My wife is at home and plans to email me one.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
If she were my cat, I'd take her to another vet for a second opinion. Are you near a veterinary school? That would be a good option. It looks similar to a cuterebra wound, but you say she's strictly an indoor cat, so can't think of what else it might be.

Merck Veterinary Manual

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're taking her to another vet this afternoon. Sadly I live in a small town, I'd guess the nearest school would be several hours away. We're actually taking her to the next town over, about 50 miles one way.

Yep strictly indoor, she spent the first two weeks of her life outside until her mother quit nursing her and her siblings. We were able to save two of them. They were found in an old barn near my home. Oddly enough, my mother says Sweetie's mom has the same wounds on her. I'd guess it must be something that's passed down to her.

She hasn't been outside (except for a vaccination trip, a spaying trip, and the last two trips to the vet) any since we got her.

*edit* Googled cuterebra, I'm familiar with those, although I didn't know the proper name. Everyone I know calls them wolves. Guess it's a hillbilly thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well according to the vet that isn't on meth (just found out the first one is), it is due to irritation from ear mites and her scratching. We'll treat her (and our other cats) and continue to observe if this goes away and remains gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.