Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing fantastic things about swheat scoop cat litter and other non-clay alternatives. Sadly, I'm a college student with four cats, two of which are special needs. What I use for litter boxes are these shallow, but long rubbermaid storage containers that can hold about twenty pounds of litter each. I can't afford to buy that much swheat scoop, but the dust in my room from litter is horrid and I'd like to at least get rid of the problem there.

So- the long story short:

Has anyone had any luck with keeping one litter box filled with an alternative litter, but keeping the other boxes in the house filled with clay litter? I figure it's a case of progress and not perfection on my part.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had different litters in different litter pans, but the cats will use the one they like the best.
I have also noticed that they are just as lazy as we are and will use the litter box closest to them, so my litter boxes downstairs are all but ignored but the upstairs one is very popular (sigh)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What I use is Fresh Results... which can only be found at SOME Wal-Marts. It's $6.50 for a 10 lbs bag. Made of ground up corn-cobs, and pine oils (for the scent). It has NO dust! This is one of the main reasons I got it, because clay always got me coughing and sneezing so bad I could barely finish scooping (which I do 2wice a day).

Today I was at Smith's (Kroger), and was just looking around... there's an Arm & Hammer Essentials (I think that's right), that is about the same thing...just not with pine, I don't think. It's also 10 lbs for about $7 or $8. I haven't tried it, but if you can't get Fresh Results, I'm sure it'd be just about the same thing.

A 10 lbs bag fills up 3 regular size litter boxes, and I only change out the litter once a month because it does so well with clumping and keeping smell away. The pine is really strong the first couple days, but then it evens out and by the end of the month there's no smell at all.

If you don't like pine smell, there's also PaPurr...but only on Amazon. It's a little more expensive at about $1.50/lbs + shipping. It's recycled newspaper beads, and not dusty. BUT the smell is like old woman/granny perfume, and I don't really like that as well as pine.

EDIT = I don't know if they changed the formula, but when I used SWheat Scoop about 8 years ago, it always mucked into mud at the bottom of the pan, instead of clumping into balls. That's why I quit using it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts