Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I do not know if this is true or not but here goes...
Overheard at a store the other day..Two women were talking about how the wet swiffer has made their pets sick-one a cat and one a dog..it was supposedly verified by their vets!!
anyone hear of this?
I would love to know cuz I used all their products...
thanks
Cyn

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I don't know if it's true or not but I've never used that stuff around the animals. I have a swiffer sweeper but I don't use their wet chemicals. I use a plain old human wash cloth that has been dunked in a vinegar solution that I mix up. Put the cloth on the sweeper like you would their cloth and use that. I always liked the idea, just thought it was wasteful and not very green using the refills. The safety to the kitties is an added benefit.

(I use a dry human wash cloth on the swiffer to 'sweep' the linoleum)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't put any truth to it. I have always used these and always will. Everything makes everyone sick supposedly now adays. The pollution in the air and the drugs water companies are putting in bottled water are killing us all...

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Well, the swiffer we have has some nasty fake-lavendar spritz that makes me choke if I actually press the button, so I avoid it!

Cats are incredibly sensitive to volatile oils and such, they are right at floor level all the time, plus they always wash their fur and paws. I say it might be true - the chemicals are not meant for ingestion!

Fran

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I've used the Swiffer wet jet for years and as far as I know there haven't been any problems. I make sure to keep the girls away from swiffered floors until the stuff has completely dried. Around the litterboxes and food and water areas, where they might spend time sitting or licking, I wipe the whole area clean with warm water after swiffering and let that dry before letting the kitties back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If they walk over it when it is wet it could definitely make them sick. We use a shark steam mop now since it is just water :cat.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, the swiffer we have has some nasty fake-lavendar spritz that makes me choke if I actually press the button, so I avoid it!

Cats are incredibly sensitive to volatile oils and such, they are right at floor level all the time, plus they always wash their fur and paws. I say it might be true - the chemicals are not meant for ingestion!

Fran
Empty your refill bottle and put a vinegar/water or bleach/water mixture. :)

I hate the smells of anything from pinesol to fabuloso. My nose will itch for days. I threw it all out and only use one of the above depending on if I want to disinfect.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
The only cleaning-type product that caused any problems was a carpet deodorizer by Arm & Hammer. I think it was the kind you sprinkle on carpet then vacuum up. Celia was allergic and licked all the fur off at the base of her tail. I figured it out, the fur grew back, but no more of any kind of product on the rugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts