Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to switch my kittens food from the breeder's brand (ekuanuba and authority canned) to wellness dry and canned.

he gobbles up both the wellness canned and dry.....
but after the switch he started getting loose stools.

since kittens sometimes get loose stools when they switch homes she gave me some medicine from her vet to help settle his tummy.
i did not use the meds because his stool was fine when i was still feeding him eukanuba and authority canned.

after i made the switch and saw he had tummy problems i started the meds again......
but he still has semi loose stools (some will be firm, and some watery in the same bowl movement)

he is showing no signs or symptoms of discomfort, he plays like a maniac, but he does go into a random corner when he is playing, and starts meowing, this usually means he needs to use the bathroom....
im confident he knows the way to the bathroom, but i still pick him up and bring him there to avoid any accidents...

SO... my questions are
should i stop bringing him towards the litter box when he does this? (i dont want him to think im gonna do it every time)
and should i switch him back to eukanuba, and gradually mix in the wellness?

(its been about 3 days on the wellness and hes still got loose stools)

thanks for the replys!

[hyp]

·
Registered
238 Posts
When you switched brands did you do so graudally?

Switching straight back to Eukanuba may just make the problem worse. I think your best bet would be to add a little bit of Eukanuba in with the Wellness and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Like opokki said switching him straight back may make him worse. Mix in a little of the eukanuba until his stools firm up, and then slowly put in less and less eukanuba.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's some info on the safe way to switch foods:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... chingfoods

If the "meds" are antibiotics and you've been giving them off and on instead of straight through, the normal bacteria in his tummy may be all messed up. Probiotics would help re-establish the good bacteria (acidophilus etc.).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Never mix canned food with dry; the bacteria on the surface of the dry food can grow rapidly under moist conditions and *really* cause a tummy-ache!

A variety of canned food is best. I generally avoid fish flavors because some cats are sensitive to fish and it seems to contribute to urinary tract problems.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops, i ment is it ok for me to mix wellness canned with authority canned...

heres an update on his condition...
i mixed a Little bit of his old food with the new
and a little of his old canned with the new
ive also started his tummy meds again steadily

hes full of energy, eating like a pig, and his stools have hardened up some....
but he only has 1-2 bowel movements a day.....
im not sure that is normal.. i suppose it could be the meds.

[hyp]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts