Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not switched, but am in the process of switching.
I mixed together a can of the food I had bought with her regular dry food, and she seemed to have enjoyed it. Then she went to playing, climbing about on her kitty tree and so forth. But about 20 minutes after she eats, it seems like it goes straight through her system, causing her to get diarrhea. Her stool looked sort of orange-y and pastey, but not fully watery. Then afterwards, she hopped out of her litterbox, rubbed her bum on the floor to wipe the excess off? Whenever I got a paper towel to clean that up, I saw blood on the paper towel.

I'm really confused, and concerned..

·
Registered
422 Posts
It may not be the food, has she had diarrhea since you got her? Cherry's had diarrhea for almost 2 months now because she has Coccidia. Or it could be the stress of a new home.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. She just got diarrhea 20 mins after she eat the new food I mixed into her regular food.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Her body wouldn't have processed the new food within 20 minutes. Has she been to the vet to get de-wormed yet; I've noticed that my cats would have a small amount of blood in their stool for a couple days after getting the de-wormer pills? If she hasn't been wormed, she may have some kind of parasite or gastrointestinal upset from stress/food changes when you brought her home.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They wormed her at the shelter when I got her, which was 10 days ago.
This is the first time I've seen blood in her stool, let alone near it or even at all.
She's been pottying fine until I fed her the wet food.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They wormed her at the shelter when I got her, which was 10 days ago.
This is the first time I've seen blood in her stool, let alone near it or even at all.
She's been pottying fine until I fed her the wet food.
de-wormed*

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's strange..but I agree with swimkris - that's too fast for food to digest. My cats have never really had diarrhea, just looser stool a long time ago, but once Lily threw up because I switched her dry food too fast (Spencer wouldn't try the new food). I can't remember exactly how long after eating it was, but I know it wasn't within the hour.

The blood is what would concern me...I doubt that would be just from switching foods.

On another subject, what kind of food did you end up getting? :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got fancy feast.

I think I'll mix more dry with the wet food next time.
Maybe I put too much wet food for her first time.. hmm

·
Banned
952 Posts
I got fancy feast.

I think I'll mix more dry with the wet food next time.
Maybe I put too much wet food for her first time.. hmm
As several folks have already mentioned, AnaPanda, it's not possible that the wet food caused the diarrhea. Instead of feeding more kibble (which really isn't good for your kitty), I'd recommend you take her to the vet.

AC

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do plan on taking her to the vet, but since we're not able to set up appointments (our vet doesn't do appointments), it's really hard to get into the vet.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just had a thought, is the blood in her stool? Maybe the blood was just from her wiping her butt a little too hard on the carpet? If the blood was definitely from the stool, you should take her to the vet to be checked for parasites. Whether it is parasites or not, you should continue your efforts to switch Shug to some canned food.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it wasn't from her stool, it just appeared when she rubbed her bum on the floor.
So maybe she did hurt her bum when she rubbed it too hard? My carpet isn't exactly soft..

Either way, I'm taking her tomorrow, mom said we could, because I'm really worried about my baby.. she will NOT like that car ride though. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts