Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with Drizzle's first birthday rapidly aproaching and Boo well over a year old, we decided it was time to begin the switch from "Kitten" food to "Cat" food. It has not gone well...

They say on the bag that due to to composition and ingriedants to give them smaller portions. OK, fine, we do that. Well poor Mr. Drizzle has gotten sick and thrown up twice now from this new (dry) food, likely from over-eating as he's used to eating one specific portion and now, with that unavailable, he eats up Boo's as well. The result being his previously standard portion is "too much" with this new food, which contains rice which expands.

Needless to say we've returned to the "kitten" food for the moment. Any advice/ideas? How long can they stay on "kitten" food? How do we go about switching again without similar problems? Drizzle's only been sick twice (this the second time) so he get's very scared when it happens. Poor lil guy. We where up at 4 am snuggling him. :cry:

·
Registered
220 Posts
some cats will get sick, that is, they barf up their meals, especially after you have changed their diet. It is best to gradually change over, by adding some of the new with the old. If your kitty continues to be sick from eating the new, then I would change his diet back again or try different foods, until you find one that is comfortable with you and your furkid.

After I rescued Tiger, my lynx-point Siamese, I noticed her beginning to barf up what ever I fed my menagerie. Then I realized that she had digestive problems. Now, I feed her many times during the day, while she eats only a small amount. Tiger has since grown into a healthy female furkid. Sometimes, I will acquire some dry kitten food. Usually, I save it for Tiger, as she still loves it, and thrives on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would also recommend to mix up the old and the new food for them. They will get used to it and then changing more and more to the new one.
Fortunately I have had no problems with that until now, but I know of several Cats felt sick due to that.

Perhaps try another kind of food which may be more comfortable with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts