Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching my cat from science diet to blue wilderness. I have slowly introduced the bw, I notice that he is not as enthused about eating anymore. I'm really wanting to stick with it as the ingredients seem to be better. I didn't realize how bad some of the ingredients were until I started doing research. Any pointers on how to get him excited about it? BTW, I tried him on wet food and he did not like it one bit. :catmilk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

If only cats were as health conscious as their owners!

Unfortunately some cats do not take to switching foods as quickly as you would like, and you may need to continue mixing the Blue Wilderness with the old food at a level that is tolerable for your cat. By this I mean that if your kitty would happily eat the mixture of food when there was more Science Diet than Blue Wilderness, you may have to continue with this mixture until he is used to the new food.

You could also try pouring a bit of warm water, chicken broth, or tuna juice in the food. This might bring out a flavour in the food that your cat would be more interested in.

As well, I know that Blue Wilderness is just one of the options from Blue Buffalo brand of food. Have you tried the original Blue Buffalo hard food? I have one cat that is also a picky eater, and he has been happily eating the 'indoor' version of this food for over two years now.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a different solution!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You may have to make the switch gradually. Same goes for canned, so I wouldn't give up on that just yet either! I had to offer my cats small amounts of new food mixed in with their old food when I transitioned them. Then, you gradually increase the amount of new food to old food until he seems comfortable eating the new food.

Blue is a great brand, but if he really won't take to it even after a gradual transition, there are a number of other good brands you can try as well, such as Wellness, Orijen, Weruva, and EVO.

I actually feed a rotating canned diet of all of the above for breakfast (although less Blue these days just because the canned Blue Wilderness is so expensive).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys he flat out refused to eat the BW Weight Management. I bought some wellness core yesterday and he loves it. I'm trying to get him to loose weight and just posted a new thread if you guys have any more to add. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
For Zenobi (otb) I bought some Innova dry. She wouldn't eat it, and I went to Whiskas which she loved. (I would be playing with her using the laser and she'd disappear. Then I'd hear her crunching away in the kitchen.)

I bought a very expensive can of diet food from the vet for Missy. "No Thanks!"

Almost anything, though, rather than Science Diet.

(Note: I don't think some humans have much to teach cats about healthy eating. :p )

Glad you've found something he likes. There are some foods where I'd starve rather than eat them. Really! I'm sure cats are the same.

A happy cat is likely to be a healthier cat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts