Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to cut out dry food altogether for my cats.
Would a diet of canned only, plus raw chicken be sufficient?
Should I get any specific type of chicken? I'm assuming thighs would be best.
I haven't been a meat eater in many, many years, so I am unfamiliar with that section of the grocery store and what it has to offer, as well as what would be best for cats.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! :smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
My kittens mostly eat canned food (although one occasionally gets dry as well). I think a can of wet food and some raw meat is a great idea (and I'm considering doing the same thing). If you go to the raw forum, there are lots of great menues that people have posted. You could try raw chicken, raw quail, beef, liver, hearts, etc. Lots of people also give raw bones (like the tips of chicken wings for dental health). A chicken thigh bone might be a little big for the first time, but raw feeders may be able to give you a better answer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My cats have been kibble free for about six months now, and they've now been eating canned plus raw meat for about two months!

Your cats can pretty much eat any kind of meat, except of course for any 'enhanced' meat (that is enhanced with broth, which adds too much salt), or anything marinated. You should also stay away from ground grocery store meat.

Chicken thighs are great, because dark meat is very high in taurine. Saying that, my cats actually prefer chicken breast :p Heart meat has a lot of taurine as well, with the added bonus that it's usually very cheap!! Cats can also eat poultry gizzards, any kind of kidney, or liver (although you must limit liver as it is very high in vitamin A - an overdose of vitamin A can cause vitamin A toxicity).

Do your cats already like wet food? Have they ever tasted any raw meat before? My older cat was REALLY resistant to my attempts to change her diet from all dry to all wet, and she resisted raw every step of the way as well. Now however she loves her raw meat! It's all about being patient, because most cats don't even recognize raw meat as food at first.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you can think of here and in the raw forum. There are some super knowledgeable and helpful people here.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think it's a great idea. You get the internal health benefits of an all canned diet, plus the added dental benefits of chewing raw meat. I'd say next to all raw this is the absolute best thing you can do for your kitty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts