Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are currently three cats living with me. Two belong to a friend (Thorn and Lynx), and they are staying with me until their owner can find a place to live where she can take them. One is mine (Spike), and he has had digestion issues for a long time. I have been wanting to do a raw diet for him and have done a lot of research. I have also been collecting an assortment of meats and am almost out of kibble for them, so I figure once it's gone I will feed just raw and canned food.

The owner of the other cats has no problem with me feeding raw, and understands that it is healthy for the cats. Everyone, including mine, has had some raw before. Spike has learned how to take on larger chunks of meat, but I still can't get him to eat bones. My plan is to try to get him to eat pinkies or fuzzies to get him used to it. Until then, should I just make sure to feed them some canned food as well so that I know they are getting balanced meals?

What is the easiest way to feed raw in a multiple cat household? Do you just divide up meals and have everyone eat in the kitchen together? Generally, do cats know how much they need to eat on raw? I have exact measurements for Spike. He is ten pounds, in between the weight of the other two cats. Can I just eye-ball how much the other two should have based on his portion and watch their weight?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just tried some pinkies with the cats. Thorn LOVED them once he figured out how to eat them. Lynx and Spike are not convinced they are food. I will bring it out again later. It looks like Thorn may have to eat alone, he is a pig, lol. What do people here do with multiple cats during feeding?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have two cats, when it came to feeding time I started out supervising (basically I'd stand there, and if one of them tried to push the other off their food I'd intervene). Now I don't even have to - they know once they're done with their food not to bother each other or I'll come over and kick their furry butts.

You're real lucky your cat figured out the pinky mice. Neither of mine ever did :p Gets expensive buying mice no ones eating.

As to your other questions.. In order to get my older cat to eat bones I've had to cut them up really small for her. She can only handle quail bones at the moment - I think quail ribs and wings are a great starting point for cats who aren't used to bones. Still I'm thinking about maybe getting a grinder though, because it is a PAIN to cut up bones all the time. I hope your guys learn to handle bones. My younger cat took to bones right away.

I've read that you should offer adult cats 2% or 3% of their body weight in food every day, but that can depend on their age/energy levels/the individual cat. My older cat eats less than 2%, and my younger cat eats about 2.5%. After trial and error I've just kind of figured out that's how much they'll eat. The 2% or 3% is kind of just a starting point - if they're leaving food every meal then decrease the amount you're feeding, and if they clean their plates and still seem hungry (or start losing weight) just increase the amount. I know some people just eyeball the amounts and if you're comfortable with that go for it. But I've tried and just can't seem to estimate consistently. Kitchen scales are fairly cheap, and I've found mine hugely helpful and reassuring.

Good luck! :smile:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I got Miu the 7.5 lb tabby and Cap'n Jack the 11 lb tuxedo who are on half raw/half wet. I also got Rocky the 7.5 lb papillon dog.

For feeding time, Rocky's in the kitchen. Miu and Cap'n Jack are both in the cat room but on opposite ends of the room. Rocky knows not to disturb them if he finishes first. Miu is usually last. If Cap'n Jack tries to approach Miu, he gets shooed away but he's more or less got the idea to leave her alone.

It all depends on the personality of your cats and the layout of your living area. Some ppl separate them in rooms with the doors shut. Others have the cats eating side by side without difficulty,

All of them eat quail for the bones. I butcher a week's worth and portion out their meals into containers that I freeze. Obviously I would rather the furkids be able to feed themselves, but sectioning the quail isn't that difficult. I separate it into drumsticks, wings, neck, breast, ribs. Depends on what you want. If you grind the bones, then they won't be reaping the dental benefits but will still get their calcium. All mine don't have a prob with the bones.

For portions, depends on how many times a day u feed, the activity/metabolisn rate of the cat. As catinthemirror says, it's roughly 2-3% of body weight. Mine are fed a wet canned breakfast and a bedtime snack. Jack is roughly 11 pounds and he gets 1.7oz for his raw dinner.

You don't have to be so exactly. Just keep track of how your cat looks and feels, how much he weighs. Then do another assessment in about 2 weeks. The cat should have a waist, you should be able to feel a bit of the ribs as you run your hands down the sides. You can google for a cat ideal weight chart for a visual reference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts