Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2-3 months ago a stray, yet very friendly, sweet cat came around and started eating from our cat Smokey's food. We wanted to keep her but we knew we could not because of various reasons.. So we tried finding her a home, with out having to bring her to the humane society. We put her in the classifieds in the newspaper, 'free to good home', a few interests but some didn't reply after i replied, or some wanted a kitten and not an adult, or our location was too far away, etc. Anyway, a couple months later we are still feeding her, temporarily giving her food to eat until we find her a home.

About a week ago my sister told me that her cheek was swollen, i didn't know what that could mean and i never actually took a look at it. It wasn't very noticeable the times i looked at her. But this morning it seemed that it has popped and it is bloody and some small scabs. the whole think isn't big, probably just around a half an inch.

This could be an abscess due to a cat fight or dental reasons, am i right? What else could it be? i have never checked her teeth.. I never thought to. Anyways, i have barely any money to take her to the vet and we never wanted to have to deal with this, so far we haven't. What should i do? should i use anything to clean it up? Can it spread to my other cat (not a stray)?

Yes, obviously i have made some bad decisions, and haven't a whole lot of knowledge on this kind of stuff. :sad :oops:

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
It sounds like it is likely an abscess has broken and is has drained. Tho all the infection may not have drained out. The simplest thing you can do is to bathe the area at least 2-3x/day with a salt water solution (1 tsp.salt to 1 c. boiled water). This will keep the abscess draining and not let it scab over.

Do take the cat to a vet to be checked out it isn't something more serious.
Animal Health – Abscesses Cats Your Own Vet Your Own Vet BY STEP TREATMENT OF CAT FIGHT ABSCESSES

1 - 2 of 2 Posts