Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...My 15 year old cat, Ellie, suddenly stopped eating last week. She acts like she wants to eat, but when she chews the food she just drops it back out instead of swallowing it. I've put out two kinds of dry and tried canned food and added water to both to no avail.

I took her to the vet the other day, and they kept her for two days and did tests. She has a thickened heart wall, and they think it makes her have trouble breathing, therefore when she tries to eat she basically can't get enough air, so she chooses air over food.

Does that sound right to you guys??

Anyway, I have her home now on lots of pills, but I'm also having to feed her with a syringe several times a day. It's quite an ordeal. I live alone so I haven't got anyone to help hold her. So far she does okay, but isn't really tolerant for very long. I feel like she's not getting enough nutrition. Besides that, now she's caught on to what I'm going to do, and she has started hiding when she knows I'm up to something.

Any tips??

One of her meds is an appetite stimulant, and she acts like she starving...meowing and wanting food more than ever, which she's never done before. It's tearing me up to know she's hungry and wants to eat but for whatever reason can't. :(

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm so sorry that you and Ellie are going through this. Has your vet mentioned the option of a feeding tube? If the vet's assessment of Ellie's problem is correct, a feeding tube would make it possible to deliver food to her without compromising her ability to breathe, and it might be a lot easier on both of you than trying to syringe feed. Here is a link to some info about different types of feeding tubes:

Feeding Tubes For Cats by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: assisted feeding of cats, feeding sick cats

Laurie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. :) The vet seems to think that the medication will help with her breathing and that she should be eating once it starts to take effect.

I'm just not so sure that it isn't a problem with her mouth, although the vet said it checked out fine.

She may be right about the breathing tho, because Ellie had a lot of air in her tummy. Even I noticed it making odd noises before I took her in. So that would support the theory that she is swallowing air as she tries to eat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts