Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just have a question i hope someone can answer.
My mother gave some leftover cooked roast lamb to my kitten which she cooked in a bit of onion and potatos.
The whole meal all up was large so the onion portion in comparison is small. Anyway she gave some leftover meat mixed with the canned food.

I have read that onion is bad for cats and even the smallest portion can cause harm. Should i be worried?
I have told her to never to do it again, only raw if she is going to give meat.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I don't know how old your kitten is, but unless she's a tiny baby I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just monitor her and get her to a vet if she's having any issues. And as you know...avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My previous cat used to LOVE chuck roast. (which I normally cooked with an onion). I used to give her a small amount of the meat on occasion.

But I guess it would have been safer to not to let her eat it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is just shy of 5 months and weighs about 1.6 kg.
I have told my mother to never do it again.
It is now the morning and he is begging for food as usual and running around like crazy which is good. But I heard that symptoms usually appear 2-4 days after eating.
Hopefully all will be OK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK now im worried. He just threw up a fair bit, whether that is from onion poising or eating too much i dont know. He also sneezed a fair bit after he threw up. But now he has begged for food and i fed him. He doesn't look like he is in any pain though or weak so don't know if it is related.*
He is still full of energy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You could always call your vets office and see what they think. How many hours ago did he eat it?

He probably just ate too much.

I probably wouldn't be concerned though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always call your vets office and see what they think. How many hours ago did he eat it?

He probably just ate too much.

I probably wouldn't be concerned though.
He chucked about 3 hours after he ate.
I did call the emergency vet as it was about 1 am our time. They said if he gets lethargic to take to the vet.

This morning he ate, and ran around like a crazy kitten which is good and didn't get tired.
At work now so will have to check again for vomit when i get home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts