Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty Taby has fleas! I just saw one on my shirt a while ago :shock: He has been playing on some plants and a lil garden that's inside the house, so that's gotta be where he got them. I saw that one on me and one on him when I checked.
I locked him in the bathroom, so he won't spread them or whatever. What do I do now? Will those products that they sell (the ones where u put a drop on his back) work immediately? Do I give him a bath first? I'll call the vet in the morning anyway, but I really wanted to know.

I'd never had pets and I'm a lil freaked out :? Hope fleas are not too hard to get rid of! :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would give him a bath right away. If you have a lemon or citrus soap, use that. The oils are fatal to fleas. DO NOT use Hartz. My experience is with Frontline, but I hear that Advantage works well also. Your vet will give you something reputable and safe.

A bath and one dose of Frontline killed all the fleas on my kitties in less than 2 days, and they were terribly infested. Good luck and don't worry too much. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply :)

It's 10pm where I live, I reckon it's too late to give him a bath, don't want him to get cold. Would it make a difference if I wait til tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Taby has fleas

Well, by the time you see this you may have treated Taby already. But don't worry if you have to wait a few hours. When Jimmy got fleas we first tried some inferior product we got from the supermarket. It didn't work, so we had to get some Frontline from the vet. But we had to wait a couple more days before we applied it, becuase it was contra-indicated with the supermarket stuff we had already applied.
When we put on the Frontline it started working almost immediately. The poor cat licked himself constantly for 3 hours. You could see the fleas running all over him - I think they were in their death throws! Jimmy kept looking at us and meowing as if to say 'make it stop!'
But eventually it all settled down. The next morning he looked exhausted, but there was no sign of flea activity at all. He wasn't licking or scratching, and he's been fine ever since.
Oh, and don't forget to treat your carpets and soft furnishings. We found it more diificult to get the fleas out of the carpet than off the cat. They were still biting me for weeks after they'd left Jimmy! But they seem to be all gone now, after several applications of various products.

seashell

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have only had success in getting rid of fleas using medication from my vet. It isnt much more expensive than stuff you would buy at a pet store, and you do not need a perscription to get it. Just call your vet and ask him.

Please do not use over the counter flea medications, not only are they dangerous they also do not work! With frontline (or Advantage) all you do is put the medication on once a month and vacum your house really well. All the fleas are gone.

Do Not Use Hartz! It is deadly to animals! My cat almost died from Hartz Flea medicine. Please click the link in my signature for info you will be amazed at how many cats have died from this medication.!!

Good Luck! I know fleas are a pain... :?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh it doesn't sound like fleas are that bad after all, huh ;) I was imagining a horrible infestation in my house.

We got him Advantage and my mom applied it earlier. While it works should I leave the kitten in one room, does it kill the fleas immediately? We washed everything as well. The vet told us to wait 4-5 days and give him a bath with a special shampoo. I was reading ur messages and saw the shampoo next to this table, and it' HARTZ! :eek: Should I try and return that or is it just the drops that deadly? That's scary that a product can harm ur kitty like that! Altho these must be really harsh products to kill all the fleas so quickly.

He also recommended some spray for the beds, etc.

Hope it works. Thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just discovered a flea on Peaches. Its 11pm here and I will get some Frontline Plus from the vet tomorrow, but can someone tell me how to get rid of fleas from my carpets and bed? I am guessing( after reading a lot of posts here) that they might remain on my carpet or couch.

Please let me know..
Thanks,
Summer

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm freaking out right now. I just used the hartz flea drops on all three of my cats about 2 hours ago. I read this about a half hour ago and rounded them all up. There is no way they will let me get them in the tub. I soaked all three of them down with wet towels and tried to get all the stuff off.

They are not happy now at all. Hopefully it worked. I am really mad at myself for not researing this better :(

Is there anyway to tell? If something is going to happen. Is there a time frame? I don't want to think I am in the clear and everything is OK and then be shocked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts