Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every weekend I go out for about 5-9 hours for sport. And I don't really want to leave my kitten by herself all day in her crate. Is it okay to take her with me? If so what about toileting?

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
At 8 weeks old, I probably would leave her at home because she's still getting used to you and her new place. How big is her crate? I've never used a crate because my twins had their own bedroom. Some cats love being taken out for walks in strollers and in harnesses, but I think it might be a little too soon, just going on how I think my girls would have reacted. Is the crate big enough to transport in your car? I'm guessing it must hold the litterbox in it. If so, maybe in a few weeks try that and see how she reacts. She sure will get a lot of attention. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 8 weeks old, I probably would leave her at home because she's still getting used to you and her new place. How big is her crate? I've never used a crate because my twins had their own bedroom. Some cats love being taken out for walks in strollers and in harnesses, but I think it might be a little too soon, just going on how I think my girls would have reacted. Is the crate big enough to transport in your car? I'm guessing it must hold the litterbox in it. If so, maybe in a few weeks try that and see how she reacts. She sure will get a lot of attention. :)
Thanks for your feedback! She is used to me as I have handled her since 3 Weeks old. Our neighbours had kittens. Since 6 weeks old she has been coming to my house for play dates up to 5 hours at a time. So she is completely comfortable with me. Her crate is like 75 cm X 40cm. It doesn't hold the litter box in it I am thinking of upgrading due to that. Or maybe taking her cave bed out or her feeding mat to replace it with the litter...
Do you know of any small sized litters? Like for travelling?

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Awwww, so sweet, yes she is already comfortable with you. When I moved 500 miles, I bought very small litter boxes from Amazon to fit in their carriers. It's almost 2 am so maybe in the morning I'll have some better suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awwww, so sweet, yes she is already comfortable with you. When I moved 500 miles, I bought very small litter boxes from Amazon to fit in their carriers. It's almost 2 am so maybe in the morning I'll have some better suggestions.
Okay thanks for your information. Sleep well!

·
Banned
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
65 Posts
So every weekend I go out for about 5-9 hours for sport. And I don't really want to leave my kitten by herself all day in her crate. Is it okay to take her with me? If so what about toileting?
I am very sorry to have upset you -- I'm a runner, swimmer, biker (well was -- dah hips won't let me these days) and I have seen lots of fur babies come along. Each of my examples were related to a different kind of sporting situation. I marathon trained so I truly get 5-9 hours of sporting on the weekend. And yep, I actually know hang gliders who bring their babies along - bungies not so much. The athletes introduce the furbabies to stresses early on and build the trust bond between them. If my dude is ok with this --- then I don't have a worry. It is really amazing to witness.
If you are indoors -- the temp is stable -- basketball, volleyball etc -- a kitten play pen out of the range of a rebound ball could work. They are covered and have room for a litter box.
Outdoors though temp and weather is huge. If it is a sport where you are in one spot on a field there are options. But if it is a sport where you leave a spot and never come back to it -- hang gliding, bungy then taking the wee one with you (on your body) is the only option.
It really depends on the sport -- are you an observer? or a participant? Indoor or Outdoor? fixed location or moving?
It truly can be done-- me, I couldn't do it. I am too much of a protector. I couldn't sport and not be concerned about the wee one. And some sports can't take a divided attention like that.
You are starting this relationship with your fur baby -- 5-9 hours of sport on the week is a serious athlete commitment. I was speaking to the athlete part of you and didn't leave room for the newness of the wee one. I am truly truly sorry for doing that. I hope you will accept my apology.
Seriously it can be done, and starting early seems to be the key. The how comes out of which sport(s) you are committed to and are now looking to find a way to incorporate your furbaby.
With dogs there is actually a target number of new experiences and number of people they should meet by a certain age -- Critters are a blank slate of experiences. The trust bond between athletes who take their furbabies along is early and steady building.
Outerwear Shoulder White Dress shirt Neck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your apology.
I play soccer and my family has a about two games on the weekend so that is why it is 5-9 hours. But we drive from one game to the second. She wouldn't be along as she would be watched by my family members when I play my game. Then I would be with her for the rest of the day. And yes it is outdoor, I live in Queensland and it's usually hot not cold. So what she would be used to at home anyway. I think that a foldable play pen is a brilliant idea. I might look into that. And just see if my baby is okay with going out or if it is too scary/dangerous.

·
Banned
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
65 Posts
At 8 weeks your Kitten's body temps are about 37.2 - 39.2 degrees Celcius which is normal adult cat temps too. So heat is a much much bigger factor than cold weather. And if I remember my geography Australia is doing winter?:rolleyes: between June and August. So, are you playing outdoors now? This type would cut out wind issues - and she can get used to it at home.
Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bag Auto part

But you may need to find a different type for summer as cats are ok until the temp is higher than their own body temp. You can also introduce her to the sling carry pouch for just moving around the house with you. This lets her see more than the tops of your socks ;) and they really love seeing what's going on. This age between now and 9 weeks she is still soaking up lots of socialization stuff. Being around people and sounds and movement -- while riding in your sling gives her safety and exposure to new stuff. Puppies have a bigger window for that stuff than cats. The very fact that you want her to be part of your life is really super, fabulous great! This sets her up for what will be no big deal, not scarey, or shocky for her big kitty days. Your question was perfect timing to take advantage of her ready to learn and adapt phase.
For a cat they are closer to their wild roots than dogs are. A collar with a tag and bell, getting her microchipped, gets her ready to "visit" the soccer field. Yep, a kitten on a harness with a leash can get her into the playpen at the field and you can practice putting her in and out at home and find out her "escape" maneuvers.

Truly a brilliant thing to think this thru to include her -- so Good on ya!

·
Banned
65 Posts
A quick thought... if you aren't playing you could put her in a harness so she can't wiggle out of it, clip her to a leash, and put her into a sling and carry her with you. Then pop her into a litter tray crate/carrier, while you ride to second game. With food and water there -- Plus you can try it all out in house to help her get really comfortable in the sling.
If you do playpen include an inner "cave" she can hide out in, safe to sleep in the cave. And she can also sleep in a sling on you.
Best purrs to you both!

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
155 Posts
I agree, try harness training too - they can escape from an ill fitted harness if they panic but this way she can walk around a little if you get the time/she is confident enough, and its a good fail safe if she gets out of the playpen unexpectedly.

The litter ideas given are good, but my boys just toilet naturally outdoors when I walk them. They find a garden bed (no one's personal one of course) or some soft ground and do their business. Then I clean up after them just like I would a dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts