Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their cats from North America to China? What paperwork is involved? What should we do to ensure a safe passage in the hold of a jet?

My wife and I have lived in China for two years. We know now that our two female Burmese would love it there and their situation here in Toronto has deteriorated. We wish to take them to China with us in August of this year. They must travel in the hold of the plane - airline rules - and we must travel through Hong Kong and then into China. We know about the shots they will need and quarantine is simply a month in our apartment. They are indoor cats anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, I have only taken my cat to St. George in a 5-hour car ride. I have never taken my cat on a plane. I know that your cats would need to be put in a travel cage and would need to be put where the other luggage is, in the bottum of the plane.

So do you like China a lot? I have never been there. Is there a reason why your two female Burmese would love it there? I mean is it a really good reason? I hope that you have a fun time in China, if you can go. Yes, I expect that they will need shots for the air pressure, and for just laying there for a long time. It's good that they are indoor cats, that gives you a plus. If they were outdoor cats, it would be harder for them. Actually, if they are indoor cats, then what would they love in China? Good Luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing you want to be careful of is sedatives. The pressurized area they travel in can cause problems with sedatives and has been known to kill animals.

Keeter travelled by air back in November last year from California to TN...the vet gave my bf a sedative to give her, but knowing the risks, he split it in half as the research we did showed that the effects of the sedative could be increased in the pressurized area.

I know you want them to be comfortable and a sedative would really help, but I also know you want them alive when they get there! It could be that it's just in extreme cases, but better to be safe than sorry! I'll see if I can find some links for you on the research I did on this and post them for ya!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took a cat on a plane when we moved from NJ to AZ 11 years ago. She was in a soft-sided carrier and I was able to put her under the seat. It actually worked out well, she could see me through the windows of the carrier and a few times I put the carrier on my lap and opened the zipper a bit so she could peek out. I don't understand why you couldn't do the same, but things have changed, I know.

I would suggest a mild tranqulizer for them. You can obtain them from your vet. I've never heard of them being a problem (I could be wrong) but I know it would make the trip less stressful for all involved. Our cat did fine with it.

Good luck to you all. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts