Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , my cat mishka always stares from the window from my apartment at the life outside , sometimes for hours , which tears my heart !
so i bought her a leesh , and i dont know if its a good idea to take her for a walk in the park next my building , as she might get different diseases , parasites etc. ,plus also my cat is a very scared cat , she is just scared of anything that's unfimiliar , unfimiliar people , unfilimiar objects etc.
so do you guys think its a good idea to take her outside for a walk ?
ifyes , then what are the best methods to teach her to accept being on a leesh and walk with it and not get scared to death .

thanx.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used to have outside/inside cats that would go out a cat door. When we moved out in the country, with woods, and a backroad that teenagers liked to drive EXTREMELY recklessly on, I knew that there was a great decrease in my cats' safety. One cat of mine was either shot by our neighbor, or killed by a wild animal, the other one, two months later, was hit by a car. We still have one cat that goes outside, and I wish I could keep her in, but she's been inside/outside for years. I recently got a new kittten, and she will not be allowed outside. She's much safer inside. I thought about letting her out on a leesh, but then I figured she'd see how fun the outside was, and how exciting, and want to be out all the time. She has little doggy friends, her humans, many toys, and many things to climb on inside, so I see no reason to let her out. She does sit in the window and watch the birds in the bird feeder, which is sad, but I know I'm doing her a lifetime of good by keeping her safe, inside.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sure, you can take your cat outside. First start by getting your cat use to the leash and harness. Put it on her in your apartment. More then likely your cat will drop to the ground or walk funny because she wont like the feeling of it on, but she'll get use to it soon enough. Then take her somewhere new, maybe up and down the halls of the apartment building. After that if everything is running smoothly, try outside your apartment. Don't take your cat outside until you are sure she is ready.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you only let your kitty outside with his harness and leash then he will think that only way to GET outside is by having his harness on, that's the way my Gizmo is, he waits patiently at the door until I buckle him up :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you only let your kitty outside with his harness and leash then he will think that only way to GET outside is by having his harness on, that's the way my Gizmo is, he waits patiently at the door until I buckle him up :)
My youngest female does the same thing :)

Make sure that YOU are the one that decides when the cat should go out, not the cat itself. If the cat cries and screams because it want´s to go out, just wait until it stops and then take it out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Once you got the cat to feel comfortable in the harness add the leash and let her drag it around. It may take days for her to get used to the feel of the harness. Your concern about parasites and such could be solved by purchasing some revolution or advantage or whatever product your vet or yourself feel comfortable using. It is a topical medication that is absorbed in their skin. Revolution is the only one that will prevent and treat certain worms and earmites but it also prevents further heart worm infestation and stops ones that are already exsisting from growing. Some products are applied once a month and some every two or three.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts