Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat Louis (pronounced Louie) is an 11 yr old Egyptian Mau. He's always been full of life and vigor, but recently he began losing weight. It happened slowly at first, but after a few weeks I noticed it was continuous. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. Our vet said Tapazole should work well, so he put Louis on 1 whole tablet per day. After 28 days we had his blood work done again and sure enough his T4 levels were back to a safe number. The trouble was, he was still losing weight and now had NO appetite - one side effect of Tapazole. (Catch 22, basically - the medicine to save could also hurt) After a week my husband and I got very worried and took Louis back for full x-rays. Our vet gave him barium to see what was going on in his x-rays. It showed a small, odd area in his stomach. He said it wasn't suspicious enough for him to want to remove "it", but enough that we've made an appt. with a vet referral for an endoscopy of Louis' tummy. At this point Louis had lost TWO Pounds in ONE month and wouldn't even drink anymore. Our vet put him on an IV with fluids/electrolytes. Louis spent the night at the clinic (which turned out to be a BAD idea because he hated it..his body temp dropped down to 85 cause he was so stressed) so we immediately brought him home. My husband and I took matters into our own hands and decided to feed him our way - we are now mixing KMR kitten formula with Pro Plan chicken and making a thin paste out of it, then feeding it to Louis via a syringe. We also give Louis water via a syringe. Our vet gave us some Periactin to increase Louis' appetite, and let me tell you - BIG MISTAKE!! I don't know if there was an interaction with the Tapazole, but Louis began falling over, turning his head back and forth and stumbling into the walls. We realized that this was happening within 1 hour of him taking the Periactin (which isn't working anyway cause we still have to hand feed him) so we have stopped giving it. As soon as we stopped, his gait was normal and he walks fine. No more shaking, no more staggering. He's still very weak and I PRAY that he's gaining some weight with our new feeding schedule. Just keep this in mind if your cat should go through the same thing - and also: Our vet suggested a week ago that we could always just put Louis down because he's old. Well, first of all 11 years is not old for a cat (our last cat was 20) ....as long as I knew and know that Louis is not in pain, and he doesn't appear to show any of the signs, we will not give up on him. I completely agree that animals in pain or diress should not be made to suffer..but I also believe that sometimes you have GOT to go with your gut...if you think anything at all can save an otherwise healthy animal, and you have the means to do so - do it! Besides, he's more than just our pet - he's family.
:!: [/b]

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about you kittie's troubles. Bless you for loving him enough to take such good care of him. I wish you the best of luck with the future health of your kittie. He's lucky to have someone as caring and committed as you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

Thanks for the wonderful words!! Cats are amazing to me, and our Louis is our best friend!

:D :D :) :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our eldest cat, Merlin (17) was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism less than a month ago. She had been eating real good but steadily losing weight. She was never a big cat to begin with but the weight loss was obvious. The vet did blood work and put her on methimazole 5 mg, one tablet two times a day. Unfortunately while she was at the vet she picked up a virus. She ate nothing for 2 days. He put her on antibiotics and her fever came down but she still would not eat. We took her back to the vet and he put her on iv's. After 24 hours she showed no signs of improvement and was worsening. His advice was to put her to sleep for her own good. We took his advice and lost a friend of 17 years. His final diagnosis was a tumor on her thryoid.
Good luck with your baby and hope to hear some good news soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am SO sorry to hear about Merlin! It's odd because I also had a cat named Merlin who lived to be 19...he died of old age, but it was still so hard after all those years.

My main problem with most vets I've encountered lately is that they (some of them) seem to forget what it's like to be on the other side of the examination table, you know? And whenever you're in a situation when you have to ask the cost of treatment, they make you feel like a terrible person - like money shouldn't be an issue if you really love your pet. That's just not fair...some people just don't have the extra money and still want to do anything they can to save their animal. Now I see the benefits to pet insurance. In our case, our vet recommended a clinic to perform an endoscopy on our cat Louis, but they wanted $550 up front - no payment schedule, no exceptions..just $550 all at once. But what if they actually found something inside of him that had to be removed? Then it's an extra $500+.....Fortunately we are blessed enough to have family and friends who can help us in this situation, but so many aren't that lucky! It really makes me want to become a veterinarian!

Thank you both for your well wishes! So far Louis is eating MUCH better by hand, and today he surprised me by coming up the stairs all by himself! When we first got him home from the animal hospital he was so weak he couldn't even walk two feet without collapsing. It terrified me to see him this way. I then learned that despite the fact that our vet KNEW that Louis had to be fed by hand, they put him in a kennel for 24 hours with a bowl of food and just left him that way! They gave him an IV with fluids, but no food. I just don't understand that. A doctor couldn't just disregard the special needs of his patients.

Ok, I'll get off of my soapbox now - thanks for listening! So far Louis is doing much better!! :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad to hear Louis is doing better. He must have a strong will.
I think I might check around for a different vet. I went through 3-4 before I found the right one for my pets. When you find one you are comfortable with and who you trust it will help to relieve a lot of worries.
Our vet is willing to work with us on payment. We ran up a $600 vet bill with Merlin. We gave our vet a bunch of postdated checks. This makes them happy because they can cash a check every 2 weeks and they don't have to worry if they are going to get their money because they already have the checks.
I guess Merlin is a good name for cats who live a long time.
Keep us updated on Louis. Will send lots of prayers and thoughts to him and you.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yes, do keep us posted. I am also glad to hear Merlin's doing better :D That's good news. I hope he continues in this progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today Louis is grumpy! My husband thinks that he's angry with us because of his feeding/medicine schedule...it's kind of humorous, because cat's definitely can hold a grudge! They just look at you and blink their eyes..kind of like "talk to the paw!"

All in all I still feel he's improving. He felt heavier to me today when I picked him up. He's come upstairs twice now, and I get so excited each time! I just want him to feel good again.

Thanks AGAIN for all the well wishes!!!! :) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!! Louis has made an UNBELIEVABLE improvement over night!!

Each day he's been slowly getting better, but he still had very little energy. Suddenly this morning but husband yelled for me to come downstairs, so I did..and there was Louis, like he used to be! He was jumping on the furniture, pawing at the carpet, and meowing in his old voice - not the new whiney voice we'd become used to. If not for his weight loss, you would never know he'd been ill! I'm still in schock!

I have to thank all of you for your support and good thoughts! My husband just told me that Louis is proof that prayer works...we've been praying for this cat for over a month now, and it's as though all the prayers have affected him at once!!

Thank you all!! 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts