Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, we took Spencer and Lily to the vet for their annual check up because they just turned a year old. :) Both of them are healthy and doing well.

Except...

Today, I found a tiny whiteish-yellowish worm that looked like a grain of rice on Spencer's hindquarters. I removed it with a kleenex, and it began to squirm around. Disgusting. I flushed it.

All of my online research, plus consulting people who have cats that have had tapeworms, leads me to believe that it was a tapeworm segment. Spencer and Lily are indoor cats, except that we occasionally let them sit out on our balcony. Our balcony doesn't contain any dirt or plants, and they're never in contact with other animals, unless eating flies counts. haha. I have never seen a flea in our house or on either of them.

We went out and bought tapeworm pills just to be safe, and were unsuccessful trying to give them to Spencer (even with the pill syringe thing)- he was just NOT having it - so we tried crushing them up and putting them in both cats' food. At this point, he's probably had half a dose, and Lily's had less...I think she detected the pill.

Neither cat has ANY other symptoms. My husband checked Spencer's poop about an hour ago, and there was no sign of any more worm segments.

So...help? Anyone??? Does anyone have experience with tapeworms and deworming? Obviously I'll take them to the vet if we need to, but since we just spent a ton of money to get them checked out, microchipped, and vaccinated YESTERDAY, I'm not feeling full of good cheer about shelling out even more. Especially since they HATE the car and going to the vet, which makes the experience very stressful for us all. What terrible timing. :?

Does anyone have experience with the deworming shots or topical medication?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, here's what I know about tapeworms in kitties.
There really are not any other symptoms besides seeing the occasional segment in feces or hanging onto their tushie. I know...ew. They can periodically suffer from malnourishment as a result, but that isn't the norm with the cat variety...my vet told me it works differently with cats than humans.
As for getting rid of them, the pill or a shot is really the only way. I would recommend getting Greenies Pill Pockets for your babies. If you'd rather not do that, there is the old fashioned way. Open their mouth, and place the pill toward the back of their tongue. Close their mouth, and use your finger to rub gently up and down on their throat. They will swallow it on their own. Repeat the dose in 14 days.
Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for getting rid of them, the pill or a shot is really the only way. I would recommend getting Greenies Pill Pockets for your babies. If you'd rather not do that, there is the old fashioned way. Open their mouth, and place the pill toward the back of their tongue. Close their mouth, and use your finger to rub gently up and down on their throat. They will swallow it on their own. Repeat the dose in 14 days.
Good luck!
We thought about pill pockets, but we know for sure that they would not work with Spencer. He doesn't eat treats. Believe me, we've tried. He is extremely picky. They would potentially work for Lily, though.

Do you know anything about the shot? I'd rather do that than waste another $25 on pills that get destroyed while we're trying to get him to take them. Maybe we're just really bad at giving them pills, but he is VERY difficult with most things - nail trimming, brushing, etc etc - so I wasn't too surprised about this. Lily is actually worse with stuff like this than he is, which is why we gave up after trying with him.

Has anyone ever heard about Profender? That's the topical treatment I found online. It seems too good to be true....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would ask your vet for a couple doses of profender. He JUST examined both cats so shouldn't require another office visit. Works great and no pills. Just make sure you apply it high on the neck so they can't lick it off themselves, and separate until dry so they don't lick it off each other. Not that its unsafe, just tastes nasty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts