Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm a new cat owner. I rescued a kitten (vet estimated 6 months old) from the streets where I work a month ago. She was given her rabies shot, dewormer (and my follow up 2 weeks later) and flea treatment. A few days ago, I noticed the little white worms around her butt whenever she woke up. Usually only 1 or 2.

The vet gave me 2 more syringes of dewormer for me to give her. While I'm waiting for the meds to eliminate the internal problem, my biggest fear is the EXTERNAL problem.

I feel like a stalker, lifting her tail and wiping them off with a tissue throughout the day. I'm afraid of them getting on carpets, couches, etc. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I read something about feeding cat coconut oil and someone mentioned doing an anal swab with a q-tip and vasaline. I couldn't imagine that.

I'm lysoling the laundry room bed and blanket that she sleeps on at night and couch and carpet, but I'm gonna go crazy thinking about these worms shedding off/out of her.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
662 Posts
While it is very unpleasant I don't think there is anything actually dangerous about the shed worms, which are no longer alive when they get shed. Just keep cleaning them up, and soon this will be over once the deworming works. If you need to confine her while this is happening, just make sure she has soft bedding and toys and you give her lots of attention during this time so she doesn't feel left alone.

Don't feed coconut oil, that won't change anything and you are absolutely right not to want to stick anything up her butt....what a terrible idea!

There is no need to use lysol to clean them; although it may make you feel better it is unnecessary and not a good idea. Putting it on her blanket and where she lives is not a good choice because it is toxic to cats. Especially if she is walking on the lysol or getting it on her fur and licking it off. You could end up with worse problems than the worms. Just clean everything with ordinary soap and water, or just with water.
The worms are not toxic but chemical cleaners are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts