Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm 99% sure my kitty has a tapeworm. We are going to the vet tomorrow for verification and medication. As disgusting as this is, it doesn't completely surprise me. We did have a minor case of fleas earlier this summer.

But a few questions... Should we assume our other cat also has a tapeworm? (I have not seen those lovely rice-like grains on her butt.)

Are the rest of us (humans, namely) at risk for anything? We do share the furniture with our feline friend. I just found some of the segments on the bed and couch - wonderful. Will vacuuming the couch and washing the beadspread do the trick?

This may explain recent weight loss. Bubba does have hyperthyroidism, so when he recently lost some weight, I assumed his thyroid was out of whack again. Is he at any additional risk due to the hyperthyroidism?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Banned
602 Posts
When one of my cats had tapeworms the vet treated all 3 of them. Only the one had to go in for a visit. He said the others more than likely had it too.

Vacuming the couch, floors and and so on will help. Wash all bedding too. Once all three are treated you should take one stool sample in to make sure it is all gone. Its not that hard to deal with though.

You cant get tapeworms from a cat unless you digeat its BM. You should be ok. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad to hear that this isn't super difficult to deal with. (The fleas that caused this in the first place were **** to get rid of!)

And since I have no intention of chowing down in the litter box, good news that we aren't at risk! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts