Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently noticed that one of Oreo's teeth has a lot of tartar buildup, on the last upper back tooth. All the other teeth are ok except for that one. At her last exam back in July, the vet looked at her teeth and said that she has some mild tartar but did not suggest any dental work was needed. However, thinking back, I remember he quickly looked at one side of her mouth and the tooth with the tartar is on the other side all the way in the back. I have no idea why a vet would not check both sides of the cat's mouth but at the time, I did not think much of it. Should I bring her in again just for one tooth? Or can I wait until the next exam in the summer? I tried to use a toothbrush on that tooth but it does not come off as it is hard tartar. She does not appear to be in any discomfort but I know tartar build up can lead to other health issues. :sad

·
Registered
254 Posts
I personally wouldn't go in for one tooth unless she is having problems with eating or another serious medical concern. Dental is very expensive!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd keep an eye on her gums. If her gums get red and inflamed, take her in a little earlier but if not I'd wait until their next visit to the vet. Two years ago, the vet told us to keep an eye on Sammy and Meek's teeth - Sammy has some tartar but Meeka's gums are always a teeny bit red. When we went for their check up earlier this year, I made a point of asking about their teeth and the vet actually told us to hold off on a dental as long as we can due to the cost. He said they'll keep checking them every year and let us know when it's time to book them in. So maybe next check up, specifically ask them to give them a dental check.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Kitty has some pretty yucky back teeth, looks really yellow with tartar build up. The gums are not red as of yet, but the vet does want to do some dental work and likley an extraction at some point. I have to agree with love.my.cats on watching the gums. If they are getting infected looking I would see the vet too. Dental is expensive, and maybe you can wait till her next dental exam to get the teeth cleaned/removed then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.