Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My teachers could not speak words, nor write, nor communicate beyond body language, instinctual reactions and sounds unique to their species. Cats taught me how to ‘read’ them, how to ‘communicate’ with them through gestures, body language and simple sounds to understand what they were 'saying' to me. I learned through observation and trial & error; attempting to apply what I thought would work and learning from what did and didn’t work.

Cats have taught me about great love, too. They taught me that I must take special care of the very young and very old and nurture them through all stages of their lives. To speak for those without voices to rescue them from their pain and ensure they are properly cared for. I learned there are no short-cuts to love and trust, that it must begin with a strong foundation before it can build and grow. I learned responsibility for others than myself. I learned that responsibility involves hard work; when others rely on me there are no days off. I also learned that after the hard work, I am rewarded with happy and healthy animals who enjoy my company and who allow me to enjoy and share in their lives ... and their enrichment of my life is priceless.

What have you learned by sharing your life with cats?
How have cats enriched your life?
What have cats taught you?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Patience! I am not naturally a patient person...my cat has taught me to stand and ponder life whilst waiting for him to decide if he would prefer to go in or out of the door he is currently sitting in whilst I am waiting to close it..

He has also taught me that no cat will go to bed without a slice of best roast ham.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
My cats have taught me that I had a huge reservoir of untapped nurturing abilities. I've never had kids and wouldn't have thought of myself as nurturing, but sure enough, you bring home a little one who's dependent on you for food and their whole lives, basically, and I came on like gangbusters.

I've learned how much I love cats. I love the fact that they're completely themselves 100% of the time. There's no fakery or ulterior motives. They're not doing a thing for our benefit. I like the idea of having that kind of freedom, and it makes me appreciate it that much more when they're affectionate or following me around the house, because you can trust it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My cats have taught me that I can't always be in control of things.

I can't make them do what I want them to do when I want them to do it. I can't make them do anything they're not of the mind to do. Basically, they've taught me to chill.

This has been very positive for cats, son and husband. And for me - life is better when you can relax and enjoy it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My cats have taught me to clean up gross things. :roll: Cleaning poop up off the floor is not something i'd have done before cats!!! So I've become much less prissy when it comes to cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
My cats have taught me the importance of respecting their wishes. Even though I am bigger then them and can force them to do things they don't want to - like sit on my lap and be pet when they would rather not. To have a real relationship with these furry little beings their wishes must be respected. (Although not at 4 am when they want to be fed.)

My cats have helped to fill the large void in my life that came when my children moved out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like any pet you get the privilege of owning in your lifetime, there will always be something that you learn and gain from. Pets and cats will impact you most definitely, that's if you accept and let them into your heart. Opens a whole new world meeting a cat of your own.

I have learned responsibility of course, a good deal of it and A LOT of attention. Cats will be determined to get whatever they want, when they want it.. you have to be prepared

You learn compassion and will have sympathy for them when they pass one day, everything will be remembered and cherished, every single moment.

Cats like a clean litterbox, they aren't as dirty as dogs appear to be and like to be, being a clean person and all myself. They like a clean bathroom as you do.

They don't care about what they look like and don't care of what you look like. They will not judge you and will love you.. if you can return it.

There might be more, but I cannot think of anymore..

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Arianwen has taught me some very important things.
That even when you have limited resources, you find a way to do what is needed just by saying,"I can!".
She taught me how to let go of my pain, both physical and emotional.
She taught me that life can be rebuilt, no matter what happened in the past.
She taught me that I have room again in my heart for another very special kitty

and a few miscellaneous "crazy cat-man" things, too :heart
She taught me proper use and application of my sense of smell, comes in very handy when cooking. :D
How to open my heart and mind to communicate with her in some very surprising ways
She taught me that when it comes down to it, most of what we consider very important, really isn't.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My cat's have taught me what unconditional love is :luv They've taught me that no matter how hard we may struggle at certain times in our lives that we will always prevail. They've helped me not to give up on myself when life got tough. They've taught me that all of the stereotypes about cats by people who don't own cats aren't true. They've humbled me, inspired me, and consoled me. There aren't enough words to even say what I've learned from my cats over the years, all I know is I couldn't live my life without them.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
My teachers could not speak words, nor write, nor communicate beyond body language, instinctual reactions and sounds unique to their species. Cats taught me how to ‘read’ them, how to ‘communicate’ with them through gestures, body language and simple sounds to understand what they were 'saying' to me. I learned through observation and trial & error; attempting to apply what I thought would work and learning from what did and didn’t work.

Cats have taught me about great love, too. They taught me that I must take special care of the very young and very old and nurture them through all stages of their lives. To speak for those without voices to rescue them from their pain and ensure they are properly cared for. I learned there are no short-cuts to love and trust, that it must begin with a strong foundation before it can build and grow. I learned responsibility for others than myself. I learned that responsibility involves hard work; when others rely on me there are no days off. I also learned that after the hard work, I am rewarded with happy and healthy animals who enjoy my company and who allow me to enjoy and share in their lives ... and their enrichment of my life is priceless.
Well said! Couldn't agree more and couldn't put it in better way if I tried. So I won't. I'm just going to pretend I came up with this and use it for this thread... :mrgreen: :p

Ok, ok! What I have learned from the cat is...

The ability to create such a bond of friendship, love and partnership between species, whose origins are so vastly different. A species said to be inferior to that of our own; inferior in knowledge and inferior in emotion. Yet, this strange and unlikely bond can blossom into something so beautiful and unique that it baffles and perplexes the greatest of minds.

That is what I have learned from gazing into the eyes of a cat everyday; fascination, awe and wonder is what I feel when he gazes back into mine.

Oh, and the most efficient way to clean up cat poop.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
550 Posts
My cats have taught me how valuable & important trust is.
My cats have taught me how short a lifetime can be, don't take today for granted.
My cats have taught me how magnificent and awe inspiring cats, nature and the world can be.
And a whole lot about love & friendship.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I keep guinea pigs and have lived with other peoples' cats but having my own cats has been very a different experience

They have taught me that I CAN clean up cat puke and cat poop without throwing up myself! And they have taught me that nothing is more special than a cuddle and some time just appreciating each others company - to stop and have time just to think and tickle behind an ear, not to rush through everything. Also that they'll sit exactly where they please, even if that does happen to be on top of my mouse when I'm trying to scroll down a page

BUT they've taught my fiance even more. They've taught him that everything he "knew" about cats was wrong, and given him lessons on obeying their every command and adhereing to their every want. He is under the thumb - but not mine, theirs. And what they've taught me about him is that he is even more of a caring person than I thought he was

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Wow...what an awesome thread and awesome replies. I can't top any of them, so I'll just say this: "Ditto to everything above this post."

Midnight, Star, and Lucky have taught me that cats really aren't that bad after all. Cats know when you need a "shoulder" to cry/lean on. Star has been my cuddle bug when I'm down and I know he'll be there for me when I get back from bringing Smokey to the lady who will bring him to the foster meowmy.

Smokey has taught me that being positive for FIV/FeLV doesn't mean that he can't live a healthy and happy life. I will do everything in my power to love and care for him when I get him back from his foster meowmy. With the research I've done, I've also learned that testing positive for FeLV does not condemn him to life as an only cat. Who knows? When I'm settled in wherever I'm living and Smokey is settled, too, maybe I'll get another FIV/FeLV+ kitty. We'll see. Don't want to jump the gun yet. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I grew up in a very animal friendly home which had, amongst other pets, 3 cats called Bonnie, Maisie and Chiko. I loved all or pets but especially our cats. I think growin up they really taught me to see animals as more than just "pets" but as part of the family. To this day I find it strange when people are like "its just a cat/dog/whatever". It's totally not. They blatantly have feelings and feel love and sadness just like humans.

·
Banned
125 Posts
I have never seen this thread before, but I am truely glad that ILoveKittyKisses bumped it up for me.

My cats have taught me that not everything in this world causes pain and agony.
My cats have taught me that no matter what, there will always be someone - even if they're tiny and furry - that will be there for me.
My cats have taught me to understand and respect them.
My cats have taught me how to communicate with them through various types of body language.
My cats have taught me that I can love something unconditionally.

My cats have taught me so many things, and for that I will always be grateful. I will always be grateful to my little four-legged friends for opening up this window for me, and allowing me to be able to take a peek inside of their world.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Stuff Peggy has taught me...
I really do like cats. Laugh if you want, but before I got her, I was worried that I'd just not enjoy having her around sometimes. Sure the holiday thing is a bit of a pain sometimes, and she could be a little less fussy with her food, but she's actually made my life better.
Unlike hearing stories about people's kids, hearing about other people's cats is interesting.
Made me appreciate that having something that's dependant on you isn't a chore.
My dad can change his mind about something.
There's nothing funnier than a cat in "rocket bum" mode going from carpet to hard floor at speed.
There's not a lot of things more unpleasant than treading on cold cat sick in the middle of the night. Poo is equal second.
Having a cat is a good way to meet women. Even if they are all nuts and I only talk to them on an internet forum :p.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Now I get what mothers mean when they speak of the constant guilty conscience of never being good enough mothers...always fretting about her not getting enough playtime, not enough walks outdoors, not enough organs in her meals, is she overweight? Underweight? Enough stimulation? Enough cuddling? Whenever I leave her I get a guilty conscience and whenever Im on my way back home I'm thinking "poor lil gal, Ill be with you in a few minutes". I think most of this I take care of quite well actually, but theres always that guilty conscience thing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apart from everything said above -- which is all true, I think I learned a lot from actually watching a cat grow up from kitten to adolescent. The way their mind develops, and how they learn new things. I love watching them interact with something they encounter for the first time. Like the first time Mooky encountered my tortoises and how confused he was. Same when I first brought him over to my parent's apartment and he met their 13 yr old 16 lb cat, who pretty much fights with everyone. But Mooky won him over right away by swatting at his head then rolling over in a submissive gesture on his back. I think he is the only friend my parent's cat ever made.

It is incredible to observe a sentient being, and to try to communicate with it and to achieve some degree of mutual understanding. Even though we are completely different life forms.

Andrey

1 - 20 of 26 Posts