Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To ALL of our members in France...Prayers for all of you, as you live through this dark, and terrifying night...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Beirut was bombings by IS targeted at Muslims specifically. They are not Muslims they are terrorists and murderers

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
That's what's so warped about ISIS: they say it's the west that they hate, but it's not just the west. It's anyone whom they haven't been able to brainwash. They've managed to attract the sociopaths and others on the fringes of society, the dregs of humanity, to do their dirty work.

Jennybf, I didn't even hear about Beirut until today, and only when I read the French papers. That may just be because I hadn't been paying any attention to the news, or it may be another example of why US news reporting leaves something to be desired. Crises in other parts of the world - particularly in areas outside of Europe, often get little coverage.

It's hard to process the events in Paris. It's a city I know pretty well, and I teach a course on its history. Parisians are tough, much stronger-willed than many people think, and they are fighters. I can say for sure that they will never allow anything to change their way of life.

A French train derailed today (Saturday I mean), killing 10 people. I don't know if it's been mentioned in the news here. It's been overshadowed in the French papers, obviously. It had nothing to do with terrorists, but what an awful thing on the day following these attacks. :(

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Most of the world press have an agenda and Beirut doesn't suit this scaremongering by them.
I am heartbroken at some of the comments made by people, NOT on here I want to stress. To judge EVERYONE by their religion and nationalities is just awful.
There is a man called Adel Termos (Adel means just/fair in Arabic) who threw himself at one of the suicide bombers in Beirut knowing he would die but to try and save his family and friends and neighbours. A true hero.
It makes me sad that most of the wrold will never hear of this brave act.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I've done a cursory preliminary count. We've got at least 2 Francais members, and several members living in France. Maybe drop them a p.m., encourage them to post, let us know they're O.K.?...

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Most of the world press have an agenda and Beirut doesn't suit this scaremongering by them.
I am heartbroken at some of the comments made by people, NOT on here I want to stress. To judge EVERYONE by their religion and nationalities is just awful.
There is a man called Adel Termos (Adel means just/fair in Arabic) who threw himself at one of the suicide bombers in Beirut knowing he would die but to try and save his family and friends and neighbours. A true hero.
It makes me sad that most of the wrold will never hear of this brave act.
Jenny,
I pray that Adel's family will be ok...
He is another unsung hero in this horrible, ongoing....war...against terrorism...

I have a Breaking World News app...and some of what I've been reading...has never made the news here...:(
I find that very disturbing, on many levels...

Sharon

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kurt,
I think that's a splendid idea!:)
I pray they are OK...
Sharon

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I've found 5 members, either living in France or les enfants de la patrie. I've started p.m.ing them, and hopefully they'll respond and post!

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I'm struggling with this as well. I have good friends/family posting pictures on FB of women in Burka's saying things like "Who knows what's under that. Kill them all" It's heartbreaking when I hear people saying we shouldn't let in refugees that aren't Christian. I live across the country from family and old school friends so FB is the way I connect.... but I've had to 'un'friend a handful of them (and a few family members) because I'm APPALLED at their political and religious rants.

It's just not what our country was SUPPOSED to be about. It feels to me like racism, prejudice, and hatred are spreading so fast and will wipe us out much faster than any medical disease ever could.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
The press here has said that one of the killers was rescued from a boat of refugees and that is how he came to be in France. I'm not sure if that is proved yet but, if so, it is going to be so detrimental to all the real refugees seeking shelter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I just posted this on Faceb**k, and I saw this thread here, so I just want to share it with you too. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes writing this in english but I guess you'll be able to get the general idea.

To all of you around the world, I want to say 'Thank you'. I want to say thank you because I have been, like everyone else, in shock after what happened last friday. I've been shocked and hurt and sad and devastated.

At first I didn't know what to do because I'm no singer, no writer, no nothing. I'm just a french girl, not even living in Paris. But since these tragic events we just went through, I've seen you, all of you, whatever your country, whatever your religion, whatever your skin color, pray for Us, light candles, sing our national anthem, light your buildings with our colors... I've seen you being just as shocked, just as hurt, just as sad and just as devastated than we are. And I'm so so so touched and moved and grateful. You have no idea how healing it is, somehow, to see that in this world where we forget way too often that we are all living on the same little piece of rock, hoping for the same thing. Being happy, basically.

Today, I am Paris and you are Paris but above all, we are ONE. One against fear and barbary, not only in Paris but all over that planet we call home.
You, who's reading this, you know, those terrorists could have kill our spirit, they could have. But thanks to you, they didn't. They did hurt us, sure, but they didn't bring us down, because you extended your hands and hearts toward us and you helped us stand back up, strong and proud of who we are, of what we are together: One.

So... People of the world, my brothers and sisters, I love you.

And again, Thank You.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts