Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zipper stumbled trying to get into the bathtub for her morning water from the faucet routine with Missy. I could see she was in pain. She could barely walk. Hubby and I took her to the E vet and the diagnosis of severe arthritis was made. Her days of walking were over. They gave her pain meds and the decision was made to let her go peacefully over the Rainbow Bridge. She was ready. She actually closed her eyes and slipped away without fear or fuss. :neutral:

We are heartbroken - the tears are flowing for us both but we know it was her time. She had a good life with us. We adopted her at 9 years old from the SPCA and she is now almost 16. She had simple pleasures like sleeping on the screened in porch, drinking from the bathtub faucet and sleeping between our heads and purring all night. She was a very, very good girl and we will miss her terribly.

Rest easy my little Zip.

View attachment 45434

View attachment 45442

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bless you for knowing it was the right time to release sweet Zipper from her pain - but so painful for you. Rest in peace Zipper!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oh, Marcia, I am so very sorry, she looks like such a sweet kitty!!
Rest in peace, sweet Zip, go find Teddy and Mocha at the bridge and give them a kiss.

Gentle hugs, Marcia, let the tears flow....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Zipper, Marcia. I know it's a real sad time for you right now. I wish there was something to say to help ease the grief.. there isn't

I'm sure Missy will miss her drinking buddy too :(

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
There is nothing that can be said to ease your way right now, except the knowledge that you were there for Zipper in her need and you didn't let her suffer. That is the best we can do as compassionate guardians of our furkids. So sorry that Zip is not with you anymore, but she was well loved and had such a happy home for many years that she would not have had otherwise.

RIP well loved orange and white girl - you are playing now and running with no pain at the bridge.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Marcia,
I am so very sorry to hear about Zipper. I know you are going through a very emotional time and we are all here for you. (((((((((((Hugs and lots of comfort)))))))))). I am sure Mocha, Teddy, and Lucy are all up at the Bridge welcoming, comforting, and playing with Zipper, helping her transition to her new life as a healthy cat again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Marcia my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry. You do amazing things for senior cats which don't have a chance at quality care, a loving home and amazing retirement years. You helped her with a peaceful transition. Run free sweet Zipper!

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NC, we didn't necessarily see it coming either, except when you watch her walk or go up and down stairs. Movement is painful for her but she was a good Soldier and never complained. She stumbled and that just threw her joints all out of whack. She was unable to move more than a couple steps and it was painful. You can see the look of pain in their pleading eyes - dilated, no purring when being held, etc. We knew before we even left the house that she might not come home.

We've always worried about the stairs, she fell and broke her breastbone two years ago by doing that. We just never thought the bathtub height might be her undoing. We tried to think of work arounds, but there are too many dangers here for a cat that fragile and I will NOT confine her to a small room forever on drugs for pain.

If I was out for the day and she stumbled off an ottoman or other low everyday thing and suffered, I'd have been heartbroken. What if she hurt herself on the porch in this bitter cold and froze to death? No, this was the right time, as sad as it is. Her passing was very peaceful. She closed her eyes and just went to sleep. The vet said she'd never had a cat actually close their eyes before and she felt Zipper knew she had had enough. This is a very difficult day - I broke a tooth yesterday so had an emergency dental visit (temp crown) right after her death. Painful in many ways this morning....

It was an honor to be her mom and dad. We are grateful to have known such a great cat - so loving and sweet. I'm happy she knew love after a 2 month shelter stint.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the kind words. It's nice to know people care about the things you love so much.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Marcia, I am so sorry.

What a great gift of love you gave Zipper by not asking her to suffer in such pain.
May have peace in your grief.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh no - I'm so, so sorry. That is always such a horrible thing to have to go through. Thanks for the pictures of Zipper and for giving her such a wonderful, loving home.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
its always a hard thing to do no matter what, so sorry for your loss..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts