Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you brush your kitties' teeth?

i just started this last week, trying to approach them every day or every other day.

the first couple days i introduced the kitties to their cat toothpaste, aster licked it like it was a treat. cody sniffed and licked but he wasn't too excited about the taste.

the next several times i introduced the toothpaste on a cat toothbrush. aster will lick and gnaw on the brush, and every now and then i will be able to get a couple brushes against a tooth or two. cody backs away, he is not interested in getting that thing in his mouth.

i'm trying to keep it slow and non-frustrating for the kitties, since i don't want them to be traumatized and try to run away (cody is already starting to do that after he poops cause he doesn't want me wiping his bum with a wet wipe!) but just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks.

we also give them those big foam looking dental treats which they like, and i have thought about giving them a chicken wing one of these days but i guess i just want to get them getting used to getting their teeth brushed if in the future it becomes a necessary thing for their health.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I brushed Rocky's teeth every day or every other day for a while and i started this before he got his adult teeth, which they get at approximately 6 months. I brush his teeth occasionally now, because the bottle says after you've done it for a while, you don't have to be AS consistent with it. I use Petz Oral gel in the salmon flavor, and i bought it because it by far got the best reviews and results, imo. I use a finger brush, and then i apply the gel, and then just gently brush his teeth and gums. He doesn't like it particularly, but he never tries to bite me, and he pretty much just "deals" with it. I started brushing his teeth after the astonishing statistics i read about how 70% of dog's and cat's have pareodontal disease. My friend's cat had gingivitis so bad that the vet had to remove both of her canine teeth. I never want to put Rocky through something like that

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got some kit from the pet store, i think the brand is petrodex, and it came with malt flavored toothpaste, a cat toothbrush, and a finger brush. i haven't tried the finger brush yet, it looks huge! it's probably easier to use than the toothbrush though. maybe i'll have to try it. i am considering in a different flavor of toothpaste, maybe cody will like a salmon or chicken one more. i'll have to look into petz oral.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would suggest using the finger brush, and i'm pretty sure the brand of finger brushes i have is Petrodex. The Petz Life Oral gel is all natural, holistic, and the ingredients mix with your pet's saliva which takes off the tarter. I prefer natural products for Rocky just because the synthetic ingredients make me kind of nervous. I would suggest looking into Petz Life oral gel and let me know what you think. Maybe, just use up the one you have currently, and then try something new?

Here's the link for info : Oral Care Gel with Wild Salmon Oil - PetzLife Oral Care, Dog Dental Care - PetzLife

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I brush my cats teeth every other day, and give them raw meat every couple of days for cleaning their teeth. Metoo has no problem with the brushing. I didn't even train her, she just accepted it from day one. Very lucky me :D Meatball, on the other hand, is cautious. She likes the taste of the toothpaste, but she doesn't like anything stick into her mouth. I now get to the point of being able to brush her 3 or 4 seconds on each side. Not sure if that's enough...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rocky pretty much accepted his fate with the teeth brushing we're both pretty fortunate! I've talked to other people who have tried brushing their cat's teeth, and the cat got pretty upset. I don't think most cat's like you messing with their mouths and prying them open. I wouldn't want that. Cat's don't like the dentist either, just like humans.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glad to hear that there is success on this forum! i've heard the same where some cats just wont have it. im hoping that as kittens my two will learn to deal with it and possibly enjoy it :)

rocky, i will have to look into the petz life gel. i want aster and cody to use natural products too but didnt look too extensively in terms of toothpaste :) once we use up what we have i will have to check that out. thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You're very welcome! Good luck with the teeth brushing. Aster and Cody sound like wonderful kittens, so i'm sure they'll tolerate and allow you to brush their teeth. Btw, make sure to brush their molars, and i tend to do a circular motion when i brush his teeth; basically, how i brush my teeth is how i try and brush his teeth(but, for not as long.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
do you brush your kitties' teeth?
I have brushed my cat Kali's teeth since she was a baby, and she's now 13. I think if you keep it up with your cats, you will be very happy you did. My last cat had many teeth extracted, and her first teeth cleaning done at age 6. Kali hasn't had to have any teeth cleaning, and her teeth are in good shape. I learned from my other cat's experience with tartar on the teeth to brush my cat's teeth, and it appears to be paying off.

I'd use the finger brush first, just to get them used to having your fingers in their mouth. Maybe when they get a little bigger, switch to a soft brush. I use a baby toothbrush for Kali and she loves getting her teeth brushed. I don't even use toothpaste anymore, I just wet the brush and it works fine.

Be patient and know that you are doing a great thing for your kitten's future health, and I am sure you will be happy that you did!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts