Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I need some advise. Attached are 2 pictures of my little girls back teeth. Right and Left side. I'm wondering if you think I should have the vet clean her back teeth. All her other teeth look to be ok. She's never been to the vet for a teeth cleaning. She is 4 years old. I brush her teeth about 3 times a day. Do you think she needs a vet appointment for a cleaning?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello

This is my first kitty so I was just wondering if now is the time to get her teeth cleaned? Is it in need of a cleaning or do I wait.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I think she at least needs a consult. My Cleo has terrible teeth, she has had a lot of them pulled.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marie

I’ll go ahead and make a visit to the vet for a consult. Thanks for the response.

Regards
Larry

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Hi, Larry,

This is what happened with Cleo. The cost is a minimum of $800 for a dental for her and all her issues (in San Diego), and it was in the spring/summer. Cat dental month is February, although many clinics extend the period to January-March. I asked if it could wait until the next year because money was tight, and they offered me the discount. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but if they don't offer the discount, you could always ask. The worst they can say is no.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Marie

Thanks for the information. I’ll ask them about a discount. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday afternoon for a check up. I’m so anxious now. I’ve never been through this before. Are teeth cleaning overall safe. I think I’m going to have to be sedated to get through this.

Regards
Larry

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Cleo has had 4-5 cleanings, most involved having teeth pulled. Because of the sedation, your kitty will be a little out of it for the rest of the day. The cost is the only reason I wanted sedation (for myself). I'm anxious no matter what my girls go in for, so I totally understand. I wish you both well.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You

Hope I can get through this. I’ve been thinking about Cali. Hope she is doing well and having fun days.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Thank you, Larry. My best friend was just here for the weekend and even she said you'd never know there was a problem if you didn't know about the tumors.

Hopefully more members will chime in about dental work.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m glad to hear she is doing well. We love them so much.

Larry

·
Registered
891 Posts
My two cents about dental upkeep in cats... DO IT. ;} Even if you brush.

What food do you feed your little lady? The type of food a cat eats is incredibly pertinent to their dental health. In a "wild"/natural setting, a cat eats small critters, such as birds, mice, insects, etc. Their back teeth, the ones that look like mountain ridges, are shearing teeth. They do not grind or chew, they snip, like a pair of scissors. They are designed to literally "cut" their prey into small enough pieces to be swallowed - a cat does not chew/grind/masticate their food the way that a cow (or a human) does with their molars. They eat their prey as-is - fur, feathers, and all.

Let's say a cat is eating a mouse. While a cat is shearing the mouse into bite-sized morsels, the fur of the mouse is rubbing against those back teeth as the cat chomps. The bones, although small, also rub/scrape against the back teeth. This acts as a natural "toothbrush" for the cat - literally scrubbing and cleansing its teeth as it eats. A wild/feral/outdoors cat who subsists entirely on small prey will likely never have plaque buildup, as they are designed to "brush their teeth" at every meal.

However, this is not the case with kibble. Kibble is terrible for a cat's teeth. Remember that cats do not chew/grind. They either swallow the kibble pieces whole - doing absolutely nothing for those back teeth in terms of "brushing" - or those shearing teeth cut the kibble into smaller pieces, which are then swallowed whole. Kibble does not clean a cat's teeth - this is a myth. Plus, the shattered kibble bits can lodge in the gum line and in other places in the mouth, leading to dental issues when bacteria colonize.

Canned food won't clean a cat's teeth either, nor will a ground raw diet (my own cat is on ground raw). However, these diets are less problematic than kibble, since they don't break into tiny bits/pieces/crumbs that can lead to bacterial buildup.

So - tl;dr you're doing great by brushing! In my opinion, three times a day is excessive - you should only need to brush once a day or every other day, unless she free-feeds on kibble or something similar. However, even a cat whose teeth get brushed need dental cleanings. It's just like with us humans - even if we're really, really good and we brush twice a day and floss after every meal, things are still going to build up on our teeth, and we need professional help. However, if you keep up with your cat's dental health by brushing as you are doing, she should only need a dental cleaning once a year.

As for your worries - I totally understand, but standard dental cleanings are usually very safe. I had an old girl who had kidney failure, was hyperthyroid, had a slight heart murmur, and had irritable bowel syndrome. She was also pretty darn old - in her late teens. However, I still had her teeth cleaned at least once a year, and she was just fine. She was 19 years old when she had her last dental cleaning (she died later that year just short of her 20th birthday; her kidney failure was just too advanced to fight any more) and the vet wasn't concerned about anesthetizing her for the dental. A good vet will monitor your kitty and ensure that she is fine during the dental.

And as another example - my young lady, who is 2, has been on a ground raw diet since I found her (aged ~7 months). I brush her teeth once a day. I still get her teeth cleaned once a year. The last time she had a cleaning, the vet called me and said that it literally took only 10 minutes to clean her teeth and they were done - he had never had such a quick, easy cleaning!

So, I think that your girl will have a nice, quick cleaning with no complications, since you take such good care of her teeth already :} But definitely have it done at least once a year - it's just good prevention.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello LakotaWolf

Thank You for your response and insight. I really appreciate it. You have done a great job for your girls. I feed my little one Instinct canned food. Also, some Freeze Dried Chicken. After each meal I give her 5 pieces of the Temptation treats and thats all she gets of the Kibble type food. Once I meet with the Vet on Monday, I will make sure we get on a schedule for her cleaning. Again, Thanks for your message, I feel better about doing this. Its tough being a parent. I worry to much. I know we all do, but it part of our roll.

Larry

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yes, go ahead and get it done. They aren't under anethesia for very long. At my vets, they also get iv support for fluids. It's like people; brushing every day doesn't mean you should skip the dentist! I give my cats Greenies treats every day. I only brush my cats teeth a couple times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts