Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a question. At my cat's last visit to the vet, he suggested that I get her teeth "scaled" or cleaned soon. He said her teeth are not bad, but just a light shade of yellow right now, probably b/c I had been giving her too much canned food when I mixed it with her dry food. He said it is just tartar buildup but as she gets older, it could get worse. She is only 4 years old. I feed her tart control treats, and have really cut back on the canned food, less than a teaspoon in her dinner, just for flavor.
I am a little nervous to get her teeth scaled just b/c she would have to be put under anesthesia (sp?). I know there is always a risk with that. Also, I dont know if she would have to stay over night... I would be a nervous wreck! lol... My mom says I worry too much, she's probably right! But hey, Andie is my baby! Pets are like kids!
Has anyone gotten this procedure done to their cat? Was it a good idea? Any info would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I am going to refer you to this link from another thread I just read through -- drjean's replies are very useful, especially her really long one. Your vet seems a bit misinformed about what caused your cat's tartar buildup and what can fix it. As for the scaling I'm not sure -- but a professional cleaning is a good idea -- I wasn't aware cats needed to be under anesthesia for that. Here you go:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3099

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I would recommend getting the tooth scaling done because the plaque on the teeth can lead to gingivitis which can lead to cavities. Even if you brushed Andie's teeth everyday, that won't get rid of the plaque that is already there. When a cat gets a cavity, the tooth must be removed because it is very painful. This is expensive. So in the long run, you will pay more if you don't get the scaling done and there is more risk of your cat having some additional pain. Two of my cats have had dental cleanings and both have also had teeth removed. After the scaling / removal they were pretty much back to normal in a few days. I know that the idea of anaesthesia worries you, but there is very little risk. I would suggest talking to your vet about your fears so that you can be reassured about the safety of the operation by a professional.

Also, regardless of whether you get the cleaning done right now, I would also suggest that you considering brushing Andie's teeth. I brush my cats teeth everyday, but I believe that drjean said 3-4 times a week is okay. Just something to think about :) .

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
It sounds like a good idea to get your cats teeth cleaned. My vet said they do have to be under anesthesia, and I dont doubt it one bit! My cats can get pretty crazy! I haven't gotten it done for them yet but when my cats were getting neutered/spayed I got a small dental cleaning for them then. Good Luck! :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
I got my cat's teeth cleaned not too long ago. He had a bad tooth and tartar build up so my vet recommended it. Cats are just like humans when it comes to teeth. Just because they eat dry food and tartar control food/treats they still needs cleanings. We used tartar control toothpaste and we still need to go for cleanings right?! They do put the cat under so they can actually clean the teeth without losing an arm from the cat's claws. I brought my cat in the vet in the morning and picked him up that evening. Your cat shouldn't have to stay unless your vet is different. The only thing is since your cat is put under, it will have diarrhea and boy does it ever stink. Now I don't know if my vet did this cuz my cat had a bad tooth or if they do it for most cats but he had to take some pills for a few days after so he wasn't allowed outside for 4-5 days. He is an outside cat and hasn't used a litterbox in YEARS!! Man, it was sooooooo gross. He didn't have good aim and pooped diarrhea on the floor and dripping from the side of his litterbox lol it was nasty!! But he doesn't know better as he's used to just going anywhere outside. Just put a plastic bag and newspaper under the litterbox. The anesthesia really does a number on animals. But they are fine after it gets out of the body. I would recommend getting the teeth cleaned. You wouldn't want your kitty to get an absessed bad tooth or anything from no proper care. A cleaning now will definetly cost you less than if something happened down the road sometime. Hope this helps!!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts