Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my cats eat only wet (with the exception of a tiny bit of dry before bed because they LOVE it) what should I be doing to keep their teeth and gums healthy? Should this be a once a year teeth cleaning at the vets? I dont' want to have to deal with expensive surgeries etc, so I would rather take them once a year if that is what I have to do.

Is it painful or stressful for them to have their teeth cleaned? How long does it take? Do they come home the same day? I know nothing about this!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't feed all or mostly wet food, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I would suggest brushing your cats' teeth if possible (mine won't let me) and giving them something crunch to chew on (maybe Nutro tater control treats or a similar product). How often your cats' teeth need to be cleaned is an individual thing; your vet will tell you when a dental is in order (maybe you'll be lucky and end up with cats that have genetically good teeth :wink: ), but I would think once every 1-2 years would be fine for most cats. The cat is under anesthesia for the proceedure, so it shouldn't be painful or stressful. The only probelm I can see that would be painful for the cat would be a tooth extraction, but pain medications would help dull any pain. If the teeth are in good shape, dentals don't take very long (approx. 15-20 minutes is the average time I've noticed), and if all goes well, your pet will be good to go home on the same day. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Brush their teeth once a week or once every second week. You can also give pieces of raw meat for them to "work on", that's good for the teeth. The most important thing is that you check your cats teeth every day. In time you'll fins out how often you have to brush their teeth.

My cats have all had nice, white teeth since I started feeding them a raw diet so I suggest that you give your cats a raw snack from time to time.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard really mixed things about the raw food for cats. It won't make them sick at all???? Has anyone heard of the brand "Amore"? That is the sample I got from a pet store. I haven't given it to them yet because I'm afraid it will upset their system.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm not sure about the whole raw food thing.

As for dental care, I brush their teeth everyday. That is the best way to prevent tartar buildup. Look at their gums when you brush their teeth and look for redness, bleeding or sores. Your vet will know best when to have the teeth cleaned. So when you take them in for their yearly check-up, the vet will advise you at that time. If you brush everyday, this can really help prevent tartar buildup but it also depends on your cat's genetic makeup. Levi will probably need his teeth cleaned every year because his teeth are just genetically-predisposed to tooth decay. Lucas, on the other hand, has pristine white teeth and hasn't needed a dental cleaning yet (he is 3 years old). He may not need a cleaning for two more years. I would just take the advise of your vet, because if you let it go too long, the cat is likely to get cavities.

As for the procedure, a simple cleaning takes about 20 minutes. The cat is brought in first thing in the morning and is put under a general anaesthetic. You would be able to pick the cat up at the end of the day (unless your vet insists on keeping animals overnight). There will be no pain from a dental cleaning, only if the cat needs extractions. When you get home, the cat will just be groggy like when he got neutered.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maleke said:
I have heard really mixed things about the raw food for cats. It won't make them sick at all???? Has anyone heard of the brand "Amore"? That is the sample I got from a pet store. I haven't given it to them yet because I'm afraid it will upset their system.
One just have to buy a piece of raw meat of good quality. If you're afraid of parasites you can freeze the meat for 72 hours, that kills the most common parasites. When it comes to germs in general, the best way to avoid contamination is to buy organic meat and to apply good hygiene when handling the meat. My cats have been on a raw food diet for three months and they only show positive changes in health. Before I switched them to an all raw diet I used to give them raw meat for treats and they've never caught anything from the meat.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
No matter what a cat eats, daily teeth brushing is a good idea! Dry food eaters get tartar too.

If you can't brush, you might want to try CET Chews. They are very good for tartar prevention and keeping the gums health.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts