Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is losing her teeth!!!

not to be alarmed tho..shes just a kitten losing her baby teeth. I found a canine tooth on the floor on superbowl sunday. Shes been getting a bit mouthy, using her mouth on more things and even playfully biteing me. (i've worked w/ her from the begining, so now she only playfully bites me soft once then licks my hand...)

So I was wondering...(hope this is the right forum on this post)..how old are kittens when they lose there teeth?..
I got her as a gift at the end of december, so i dont know exactly how old she is. I was guessing from her size that she was 3-4 months old..now she would be 4-5 months old. I know its not a for sure way to tell how old she is...cause this probly varys a little, but i was wondering if i was right w/ my age esimate or if im way off??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also... how many teeth do cats have?

It looks like she's losing a molar. Its one big side tooth! I originally thought they had big seperate ones like we do. but it looks like her main side/back teeth are just one tooth. And its lose in her gums and bothering her. which leads to my other question (and a stupid one at that). this tooth she is losing seems to be bugging her. And I was wondering if it would hurt her any if i helped her lose it. (you know when you were a kid and the tooth got so lose you could just pull it out....) well her tooth is really loose! Im not going to do anything unless someone says its ok.(primarily drjean). but seeing that im going to bed soon, and i wont check this agian till tomorrow night, she will probly have lost the tooth by then. but i was just wondering how it all worked... after all...ive never been a cat.. well, only for halloween! lol

wow..i write alot!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would say they lose them around 4.5-5mths. Kota is losing hers now and thats how old she is, Stix was also the same age when I started finding little kitty teeth lying around. The most I ever found were 3 though, 2 fangs and one big tooth like you were talking about.
I did pull one of Stix's fangs out for him, as it was hanging by a corner and I could already see the fang underneath poking more than 1/2 way out. He didnt seem to mind, although it wouldve been fine without my help. In my opinion, unless your kitty seems to be in pain, I would just let nature take its course! Make sure you leave him a dollar under his pillow! :lol:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
teeth

Yeah, about 5 months; new ones should be in by 7 months. The breath can get kinda stinky through the process and the gums will be red. This should all clear up when the adult teeth (30 total) are in.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow..i was right on the age, guess i should doubt myself so much. (after all i did grow up w/ lots of kittens) she is only my second indoor cat..(growing up we had barn cats, and one would have kittens)

Either way, I was right she did lose her tooth today while I was at work. Where it is, I will probly never know.

thanks for the info you two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts