Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One do my cats (3 year old male) has always been very vocal. He will trill, meow, mew, hiss, growl, purr, whine, etc. My issue is that some times when i pet him he will start hissing, moaning, and growling at me - sometimes he goes like he starts to try to bite me but always catches himself and stops. Whenever he does this, I will stop petting him and walk away. But 90% of the time he will follow me when I walk away and start rubbing up against me for more petting. The process repeats, but no more than twice because at that point I ignore because I've had enough of his attitude.

He does a similar thing when I have to give him baths (long haired cat - poop butt - thankfully it doesn't happen that often)' but he will hiss, growl, and purr throughout the whole process.

So what's his deal?

(FYI - no health issues either, he's been like this for years and has been to the vet several times between)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
golly, he DOES sound temperamental. sounds like he's basically well-behaved because he doesn't bite or scratch you, but he's trying to tell you he doesn't enjoy being touched all that much. actually, i should say he sounds REALLY well-behaved and patient because he puts up with the uncomfortable stuff without punishing you for it. since most cats don't seem to like baths, i'm not surprised he growls and hisses, but he has amazing restraint and deals with it.

if it were me, i think i might just chock it up to his personality and maybe adjust to it myself - i.e. stop petting him as much and let him come to you. his following you around and rubbing against your leg might be all he really needs. maybe it's just that light pressure he likes. at least he shows that he DOES like you because he likes your company. you might just have to accept that he's not a cuddle bug. just my humble thoughts. maybe he'll eventually get used to the petting, but you can't rush it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - he's neutered. He's actually my most affectionate cat when he wants to be. One second he'll be growling/hissing at me and the next he'll run over to me and start rolling around on my lap. I have two other females cats he'll play with as well. He is VERY affectionate with one of the females - he'll groom her for hours. I dont know if he's just an extremely moody/vocal cat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm that's actually really interesting, I did not know that was possible - thank you. I adopted him so he was neutered when I got him at 6 months old. So I dont know the vet who did the procedure. They are due for their annual next month so I will definitely ask the vet about the possibility.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
"So what's his deal?" .... He just sounds like a really vocal communicative cat to me. I would just ignore his hissing....and walk away and ignore him saying "OK if that's how you feel." I think you're doing the right thing by walking away, and not overstimulating him with overpetting. Some cats are just grumblers, like some people!

As far as "poop butt", if you clip away the fur as close to the skin as possible with moustache or blunt-nose scissors about 2 in. diameter around the anus that will help a lot to keep his bottom clean....you may even have to trim a bit of his bloomers as well, or if he's professionally groomed ask for a "potty patch".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts