Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat was hand raised by me from a day old. She grew up with her brother and some other older cats. She was not socialized until she was about 4 to 5 weeks old. She loves me and follows me all around the house. But she hates everyone else, except my mother because she also helped to raise her. She growls and scratches people that try to touch her. Especially when you try to pick her up. She has only attacked me once at when she was at someone elses house, and she was upset there, probably because it wasnt home and there was another cat. It takes her a while to adjust with other cats. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sure: when people come over, tell them not to try to touch her or pick her up! It will be much easier to re-train your friends, than to change a cat who may not have received adequate socialization during the crucial development period. However, you can help her become more confident by using play therapy. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012
If there are friends who come over quite a bit, you can have them try playing with her too. (Just don't get too close!)

Has she been spayed yet? Sometimes hormones will contribute to this type of reaction.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was spayed and a lot of people held her when she was being raised. I adopted her brother out at a restaurant...everyone held both of them and they went out several times. She is up to date on her shots and gets wormed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
She may get over this in time. I have one who was the friendliest kitten, went to work with me every day, everyone played with him and held him...then during adolescence he turned into monster kitty. For months, he would attack anyone or anything that came into the house...then he turned into Mr. Scaredy Cat and was freaked for a while at any new thing. Now he's pretty much back to his old friendly self. So it may just be a phase she's going through.

Keep working with her, see if people who come in will just sit quietly, maybe offer her a treat, but make no other moves toward her, so she gets the idea that they are not out to get her. In time she may regain her trust.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so...I dont want her attacking all of my friends. Right now we are living with my cousin and she was fine the first day...from the 2nd day on she just scratches at her.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Tell your friends to talk to your kitty in an affectionate manner before starting petting her. Then to try and approach her and use their judgement wether she is happy or unhappy about that. Your kitty may see their imposing stature (like we all are compared to the cats) menacing; by talking in a soothing voice that aspect can be diminished and kitty will learn to trust them..give it some time - it will work out.
Frosty is not like you are desribing your baby to be but is still kind of jumpy with some strangers. He acts cool and lays very confident around everybody (I have had him since he was about 2 weeks old) but if somebody approaches and he doesn't like something about it he will let them know :twisted:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The friend of ours that Assumpta likes best is the one who virtually ignored her the first few times he came over. He'd sit on the floor and talk to us, but didn't approach the cat at all...just made himself available and non-threatening. Eventually, she got curious and went over to check him out (actually, she went over to check out the turkey sandwich that was attached to him, but I digress). She doesn't like to be approached, but does okay if she gets to decide when and how the petting will take place...otherwise, she's an eight-stroke cat. I keep a close eye on her when strangers are around to make sure she doesn't get upset.

(slightly on-topic rant: and what is it with people who feel the need to pat my cat like she was a dog? They rub all her fur the wrong way, pat her too hard, talk loudly in her face, try to rub her tummy, and then get all offended and call her a bad cat when she turns around and gives them a warning bite. I swear I am going to post a set of "rules for patting my cat" at the front door....)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Gudewife- You must have been to my house at some point and seen how obnoxious people can be with a cat :D I have the same problem....especially with Ashley, who will hide from people, and then they bad-mouth her for being shy. Gaylord is pretty tolerating, but obviously if someone is roughing up his fur, etc, he is going to take a swipe at them!!! Then he is labeled as a mean cat :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts