Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was driving home from work along the highway, I saw a cat get hit HARD by a car. The car must have been going 120km/h at least. The cats whole back end was literally smushed, and it was trying to drag itself with it's front legs off the road. I will never forget the look on the cats face. Cars kept going, no one stopped. I slammed on my brakes and pulled onto the shoulder. The cat was lying down, almost dead by this time, in absolute shock looking at me with wide green eyes. Even though I knew in the back of my mind that this cat had no chance, I did the first thing I could think of. As a summer job, I work for a landscaping company, and I tow a lawnmower around with me in my car. The lawnmower sits on a big blanket so my car doesn't get too dirty. I grabbed the blanket and wrapped the cat up tight, put him in my car and bee-lined it as FAST as I could go to the vet. When I got to the vet, to my surprise the cat was still alive. The vet took him to the back immediatly and put him on fluids. He lost both his back legs and his tail and a lot of blood. It is hard to say if he will live through the night, the vet surgically removed any shattered bone, so his back "stumps" have been cut cleanly now. We are all baffled by the fact that no vital organs are seriously damaged. He is on fluids, pain medication and he's really out of it. The vet said it is a miracle he survived the drive to the vets. He said he should have died instantly.

Anyway, please keep this cat in your thoughts. If he lives through the night, his chances will go WAY up of living a better life. He will have no back legs, and will be on wheels which will be attached by a harness around his body. He has a lot of recovering to do. I just can't stop thinking, what if I hadn't been there? He would have died on the side of the road, he would be dead now. This just drives into my head even more why it's important to keep your cats indoors. I need a name for this guy if he lives, as I will be adopting him.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh my gosh, that breaks my heart :cry: Bless you for stopping to get him, and then for taking him to the vet and being willing to save his life. He sounds like a fighter, and I am praying for him. I can't thank you enough for what you did.........when I worked at the vet , I saw far too many hit-by-car strays brought in, ripped apart, and we had to euthanize most of them, because nobody was willing to pay for/adopt them. Thank you for being so kind, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That must have been awful to witness. :cry: I've never seen a cat get hit by a car and if I ever did it would break my heart so much. :cry:

The fact that no vital organs were damaged the poor little thing would have suffered for a long time before dying. You were his guardian angel.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I can't stand seeing any animal get hit by a car. What an terrible experience for you. :(
No matter what happens you did a wonderful thing for this poor kitty.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Maleke you are such a wonderful person - thank you for finding ressources to do this beautiful act of kindness.
It is hard being on the roads because of situations like these.
I am curious - did this kitty ever hiss at you? I have been in situaions like these and usually they hissed at me - which meant they weren't tamed. I wish more people would take note and not leave their pets outdoors - it is too cruel especially if they live close to busy roads.
I am not sure what color his fur is but I have some name suggestions - Radar, Sammie, Arrow, Benny - I assume he is a boy

I will keep him in my heart - may he be strong through the night and get over this bump

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh my! I am so sorry to hear about this poor kitty. What an angel you are to help him! I hope so much he makes it through the night! Please keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh my! I really hope that poor kitty makes it. If he loses his hind-legs, there are animal wheel chairs out there! I just hope he can get a home if he surives. The poor cat. I seen a cat get hit once. it was hit on the HEAD. The back end of the cat was running in circles around the head. Then the next car hit it AGAIN and killed it. It was horrible!

Few people would stop to see if an animal hit by another vehicle would stop and check on the animal. Even fewer would take it to the vet! You are a true angel!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Maleke, I can't put into words the praise you deserve for caring for this cat. I pray that this brave little cat lives and gets his wheels! If he makes it I would call him Rocky, after the Stallone movies, because he is fighting unbelievable odds. God bless you. You are certainly doing His work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, Maleke...you have a heart of gold to help that poor helpless cat. I am always amazed at how indifferent others can be to the plight of animals. Bless you for making a difference.

I'm praying that little kitty makes an amazing recovery, and I'll be waiting to hear from you about how he's doing.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
What a good heart you have! What a frightening thing to witness - I've never seen an animal hit by a car. I can't even imagine how awful that must have been - but what a fighter!! He is so lucky - not only to have survived the accident without injuring any major organs, but to have you be his guardian angel in this whole situation.

He will be in my thoughts tonight - please keep us posted!

·
Registered
99 Posts
this is one of the sweetest stories, I've read in a long time. It was fate that you were there for that poor cat. He obviously has a will to live.

I will keep him in my prayers tonight.

Please keep us updated on his recover.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i'm so glad you were there to help! most people are too self absorbed to help other people out, let alone an animal. best of luck to both of you, i'll be rooting!

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is hope yet for this world where there are people like you out there.. *Hugs* You have such a beautiful heart..makes me cry just thinking about the kitty and from the wonderness in your soul. *sigh*

·
Registered
237 Posts
:( i hate hearing about kitties getting hurt in the dangerous streets... i've never seen one get hit, but i've seen enough dead ones along the side of the freeway. and i've just seen enough cats running around to make me worried for them. i will keep your kitty in my prayers, god bless your soul for taking notice and helping him out. :::big hug:::

-- brite

·
Registered
87 Posts
Reading that brought tears to my eyes. You have such a heart of gold doing what you did. It frustrates me when people do things like this and then don't have the decency to stop to check the animal is okay. I mean whoever hit the cat must of known they hit something.

Please keep us updated on how he/she is getting on.

I have thought of some names for he/she:

Animosus - which is latin for courageous
Abudantia - Goddess of luck, abundance and prosperity.
Sors - God of luck
Virtus - God of courage
Kimball - celtic for warrior
Kendrick - celtic for royal power
Devlin - gaelic for fierce bravery
Keller - gaelic for a little companio

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's so terrible. My cat got hit by a car and we live in a quiet street, so learned my lesson the hard, heartbreaking way. I don't understand how anyone could just keep driving after hitting an animal. :cry:
I hope the little darling pulls through. I will be thinking of him/her.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts