Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. A little back ground information.. I got my dsh all black cat when he was 6 weeks old.. The people were getting rid of them so I had to take him then.. anyway, he is such a baby. He sucks on blankets all the time to relax himself and has to sleep with me and my boyfriend at night and all the doors in the apartment have to be open (including the bathroom door even when we are in there). Ever since we have had him (He is two and neutered), whenever we have company he will go into this terrified state and run for a hiding place. He is very shy and even when our company is gone he will not come out of his hiding place until like the next day..This means he doesn't eat or drink water at all during this period even if we put food near him. I would like to know what is causing this and if it can be helped. I dont' like to see "nightmare" like this. He is a very beautiful cat and I love to show him off... but with him doing this I can't.. Any help would be great .. Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
So sad that he is so terrified! Reading your post reminded me of my own cats. One very brave, but with that same need for open doors thing, and the other freaks out and runs to her safety spot in the bedroom closet and any sound or quick movement. She was better when her big brother was nearby - it seemed to calm her down, and make her braver.

You *might* consider adding another cat. Someone real mellow and friendly to be a companion to him. Someone to show him that things are a-okay.

Also, as much as you might like to show him off, it doesn't sound like he's into that - some cats just aren't that way. To encourage my girl to come out with company, I sit in the room with everyone, but on the floor and within site of the room she's hiding in. Eventually she gets curious and peeks out, sees her "mom" there, and wanders down the hall. Sometimes our other cat would walk by, and seeing him also seemed to encourage her.

Is your house particularly loud or is there a lot going on?

Some cats are just more timid than others. I have noticed that since I've created a daily play routine for my scaredy cat, she's gotten a little braver around things that used to send her immediately running. I don't know what changed exactly, maybe it's just the increased attention?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts