Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kinda disturbs me and bothers me a little bit as this is something I've never noticed on my now what? 8 or 9 year old jack.

First, I dislike kids, probably will not have any of my own. I find them repulsive and disgusting. As such I never have them around and avoid people with kids.

Jack came from a home initially however, that had kids, he was raised by one at first... And this is where i am perplexed.

Our neighbors have grand children, and when they are out side i noticed jack is attentive, if they are marking noise (like kid noise) he growls and runs into the barn up into the loft of hay, ok not so bad i figure, just does not like kids.

Was in my room with the window open and he heard them playing outside, growled and nearly had a panic attack trying to get out of the door.

This prompted a you tube audio test, put one on of kids playing and sure enough, it scares my cat more than anything I've ever seen scare him. Not just scare, but he is traumatized, he scrambles to hide, when i first tested he ran to the wall bewteen my matress, then forced his way UNDER his dog bed (he has a full size dog bed for his bed) i stopped the audio and waited for him to come out, and he would not. Finally i got him out and his heart is going a thousand miles a minute, he keeps looking at the window and growling , eyes are huge and he keeps nervously looking about. (he's at my feet under my desk and still looking at the window and freaked out) - Did this over 45 mins ago.

Why the heck is my cat so afraid of kids and even the simple noise that children make, he chases after full size german shepards.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
It's very possible he was abused, teased, tortured, hit by kids in his former home, and that's why he hides when he hears kids voices. It's also possible he is a high strung sensitive cat. That type often doesn't like kids because of their shrill voices, quick movements and noisy play. It's just very upsetting for them. Are you wondering what you can do about it? Apart from moving to an adult only apartment, or a quiet rural area, the only thing I can think of is "conditioned response" training. Remember that experiment with Pavlov's dogs? You might use a YouTube video or make a recording of children at play. Play it very very softly in the beginning. It will likely drive you crazy, but you would have to play it for long times several times a day, and hope your cat gets so accustomed to it, that it starts to ignore it and not respond in fear. You will have to try and entice the cat to play during those times, and feed it treats and it's food. It's a tough problem and this method may or may not work, but maybe worth a try?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts