Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like it's all my fault. Moo Moo got spayed on May 6th. It's been almost two months now and she's still terrified of the outdoors.

I have been training her to walk on a leash. It was going well, until we got her spayed. The first time I tried to take her out after she got spayed was a nightmare. (Almost a month later, when her incision was fully healed.)

I barely got out the door before she freaked out. She started panicking and before I could get her back in, she somehow got off the leash and ran. Thankfully, I got her back into my arms and ran inside. I was just as terrified as she was. I started crying and now I'm afraid to take her outside again. (She is micro chipped and wears a break away collar that has a tag as well.)

The last time she went out, in a carrier, she was spayed. So, I think she's traumatized. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her interested in going outside again? (Or has anyone gone through a similar experience?)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Our last cat Mittens was terrified of the outside from the moment we got her. I actually ended up liking it though, because then she never went outside and I didn't have to worry about losing her. You could leave a door open and she'd never try to go out of it!! Now my new two kittens, are very curious about the outside, but luckily I always see them just as they sneak out and I grab them and put them back indoors.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Mommy to MooMoo, MooMoo sounds pretty freaked out about going outside now on a leash, especially since she escaped from it, so I wouldn't do that again. If you really do want to take her out she would likely feel safer in a pet stroller. That's how mine go outside. Even tho Zuba doesn't like going in his carrier for car rides, he loves the pet stroller and will often sit in it as a hint he wants to go for his "walkies". Get one that has larger wheels than my 5" diameter ones. The larger wheels are go over lawns or rough ground more easily. Both Alkee and Zuba particularly like going through parks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts