Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little foster guy has been having issues with peeing outside the litter box. Irwin is about 6 months old, neutered about a month ago, and other than the peeing is a sweet, cuddly, energetic little guy.

We took him to the vet, did a urinalysis and have ruled out a UTI. It was mentioned that it could be a hormonal issue so we're going back to check his testosterone levels.

I have no experience with this and just wanted to know if anyone here is familiar with this type of thing and could give me an idea of what we're looking at as far as treatment or other possible diagnosis?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
The first thing I'd do is buy several new litterboxes: open, covered, low-sided, taller-sided, oversized, etc. Then I'd buy a variety of litters: unscented, clumping, non-clumping, clay, non-clay, even clean topsoil. Try the different litters in the different litterboxes and see if he has a preference of litterbox/litter types. Also, try different locations for the litterboxes. It's possible that Irwin wants more or less privacy while using the box, or it's possible that he simply doesn't feel comfortable in whatever location his litterbox currently resides.

Is this a new issue for Irwin, or has he always avoided the litterbox? Has anything stressed him lately (aside from the neuter experience)? Do you have other felines in the household? Does Irwin use the litterbox for solid waste? Has Irwin been declawed?

The answers to those questions may provide clues to his behavior.

Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts