Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is okay for me to post. After a particularly frustrating experience on another site, I felt compelled to say this.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for being such awesome people. I've been on a lot of different forums over the years, covering a lot of different subjects, and this is honestly one of the most pleasant places I have ever posted.

The sheer rudeness an condescending and ignorant attitudes I have encountered at other forums (including other cat forums) makes me constantly discouraged about socializing on the internet.

Places like this, however, always manage to redeem my faith in humanity a little.

I originally joined this place and several other cat forums to ask health questions about my cats, and this is the only one I've felt truly compelled to stick around at. I've learned so much from the people here already, and appreciate their intelligence and support.

I just wanted to thank you all and say, keep it up. :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Phew, that was so not what I expected when I saw the thread title. I thought it was going to be a "it was fun but i'm leaving" post.

I was all ready to beg you not to go.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
That's so nice!

I'm still learning new things all the time. I joined because I was new to cats and had no clue about how to properly take care of Cinderella. And I certainly wouldn't have survived losing her without everyone's kindness and support.

Although, I must say, when I joined, I only had one cat!

I'm just saying.....:shock:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You're clearly weak willed :p

Seriously, I know what the OP is on about. Some forums are so unfriendly, and dumb. Here, whilst most members seem to be several shades of insane, most are fairly docile.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know what you mean, saitenyo. I was a member of another cat forum prior to joining this one. My stay at the other forum was very brief for reasons I won't bother getting into, but you can well imagine. I find this one much more friendly and informative.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Yep, and yep. Although I do occasionally still pop over to the other forum, I very rarely post. As much as I enjoy helping people with their cat's nutrition and feeding, and as bad as I wince when I see misinformation given out, posting in that other forum simply isn't worth the hassle.

I have enough gray hair. :wink

Catforum's flavor of insanity (ha, Huge!) is perfect.

AC

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I've broken my record for not getting throw of the forum with CF. I've never survived over a year anywhere else. Youz guys must be smarter so you irritate me less.

My other record was on the VWGTI forum. I think I lasted about 3 days. Seeing how stup-it the other owners are makes me want to sell the car

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Agreed! I've pretty much stopped posting on my other forums I belong to (non-cat related), people are just to rude, and it gets old. Even after a brief time away from CF, due to lack of time, one can even come back, try to get caught up on things, and still feel welcome here. It's a great place to hang out!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I agree with you - people here on this forum are so nice. It's my first cat forum but I've been on others and the drama and rudeness that goes on in some of them is downright shameful.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My worst experience has been on a "fitness" forum. Do NOT separate a lot of young (mostly)women from their food, make them exercise, then give them a forum to kill time. Bad combo.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
You should try a roller derby forum - that can sure get heated!!

I think, generally speaking, some people tend to 'forget' that there are real people behind those monitors with real feelings - its so much easier to be rude when you dont have to face that person in real life too.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow lots of replies! Bear with me while I go through all these. This is what I get for posting a thread right before I go to bed. ;)

Phew, that was so not what I expected when I saw the thread title. I thought it was going to be a "it was fun but i'm leaving" post.

I was all ready to beg you not to go.
Aww, that's so sweet of you Mow. See, this is what I mean. I've always felt very welcome and liked here. Definitely not going anywhere! I haven't been a regular at any kind of forum in a long time because I got burnt out on all the drama, so I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this place is! Apparently there are still some nice forums left on the internet.

Although, I must say, when I joined, I only had one cat!

I'm just saying.....:shock:
Uh oh. I'd better not let my boyfriend hear this. He's already worried I'm going to end up with a full cat herd. ;)

You're clearly weak willed :p

Seriously, I know what the OP is on about. Some forums are so unfriendly, and dumb. Here, whilst most members seem to be several shades of insane, most are fairly docile.
Yes, I've determined there are different kinds of crazy. There's the kind that makes you want to run screaming for the hills, and then there's the kind I fit right in with. This place is filled with the latter. :)

I know what you mean, saitenyo. I was a member of another cat forum prior to joining this one. My stay at the other forum was very brief for reasons I won't bother getting into, but you can well imagine. I find this one much more friendly and informative.
Yep, and yep. Although I do occasionally still pop over to the other forum, I very rarely post. As much as I enjoy helping people with their cat's nutrition and feeding, and as bad as I wince when I see misinformation given out, posting in that other forum simply isn't worth the hassle.

I have enough gray hair. :wink

Catforum's flavor of insanity (ha, Huge!) is perfect.

AC
Yes to both of these. It sounds like a lot of other members here have had similar unfortunate experiences to mine at other forums.

I went to bed last night, realizing just how stressed out I was. I hadn't gotten that stressed out over posting on a forum in years! It was a very unpleasant experience. Not worth it at all. I have enough stress in my life with work and everything. I'd rather enjoy my foruming at nice places like this.

My worst experience has been on a "fitness" forum. Do NOT separate a lot of young (mostly)women from their food, make them exercise, then give them a forum to kill time. Bad combo.
Hehe, I think one of my worst was on a vegetarian forum. Mixing food and politics and devoting an entire forum to it, filled with different reasons for the lifestyle choice, always results in drama. ;)

And when I was growing up, I posted a lot on a Lion King forum. Wow, you'd be amazed at the amount of drama that can center around a bunch of 13 year old artists drawing lions.

You should try a roller derby forum - that can sure get heated!!

I think, generally speaking, some people tend to 'forget' that there are real people behind those monitors with real feelings - its so much easier to be rude when you dont have to face that person in real life too.
Agreed. I think a lot of people use the internet as their personal crusading grounds or a place to boost their egos. Your "real life flaws" can be hidden away and you can gain respect for knowledge about particular topics, but some people take it way too far and get extremely overbearing and condescending about it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree, this is a much more friendly forum than the two other cat forums I have now left. The forums I left, several members kept getting caught up on my age ( 18 ) and they told me that someone my age can't know anything. It got to the point, on one of the forums, that they pointed out to new members that I was 18, and pretty much told them to not listen to what I said.

I do not get that from the members here and I thank all of you for that :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is by far the most pleasant forum I've used. Even the rare disagreements are quite civil, and the mods do a great job at keeping the trolls out.

It's funny how the internet can bring out the worst in people. I wish it could be so easy to bring out the best in people.

·
Banned
952 Posts
This is by far the most pleasant forum I've used. Even the rare disagreements are quite civil, and the mods do a great job at keeping the trolls out.

It's funny how the internet can bring out the worst in people. I wish it could be so easy to bring out the best in people.

Emphasis above is mine.

Amen to that!

AC

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just have to jump in and say that this place is awesome. Yeah, its been said a million times by the others, but it really is true. This is the only place where I drifted away and then came back in, and it still felt like the same place, just some new faces and friends-you-haven't-met yet.

And bonus points because it's about cats. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts