Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?

My family is coming to my house and we gonna have a nice big feast.. I cant wait!!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Let's see, it will be the usual Thanksgiving for me this year I think. I'll make all my favorites which are a turkey breast, green been casserole (not the soup can kind, a real one), mashed potatoes, candied yams.

Eat until I wish I was dead. Sleep until I feel better. Repeat until I can't stand the sight of food or the food runs out, whichever comes first.

Then I'll eat pie.

After all that I'll probably fast for a few days because the sight of food will make me sick.....

Yup, typical Thanksgiving for me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I will cook whatever strikes my fancy and everyone will eat it and be happy. I have 2 turkeys in the freezer and 6 people, 4 dogs and 3 cats (hopefully) eating.. I am sure I have enough.. maybe.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Not sure what the plans will be this year. Last year, we all gathered at my sister's house for the first time in what we had hoped to be a new family tradition. Before that, I had fixed Thanksgiving dinner for my four kids and my ex-husband. This year...not too sure. My dad has been having health issues off and on since April and seems to end up in the hospital every 2-3 weeks. We're all hoping and praying that he'll stay out of the hospital over the holidays and well into the new year.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My family always has Thanksgiving at my moms with all of the delicious, usual Thanksgiving foods. We have both sides of the family over so it's a full house!

Sadly this year, I have to be at work at 5pm. So we're having a Thanksgiving lunch and then I'll be off to work Black Friday all night. :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
My Thanksgiving will be kinda sad really.. I'm not going home, so I"ll just do some schoolwork, maybe some laundry and maybe have a bit of a thanksgiving gathering with the other students I know who aren't going home.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My wife and I will probably be going to my daughter’s house although I wish it were at our house. We have a much bigger home with lots of table space plus I loved the smells of thanksgiving dinner throughout the house.

Before the kids grew up, my wife would cook a huge turkey in the oven and I would be on the patio deep frying two or three more turkeys. We not only had all our family and friends but some of the neighbors as well. It usually was an all-day event except for my mother-in-law who was a nurse and always had to work the evening shift.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Family os too far away, so we will be spending Thanksgiving day with friends instead.

I have also planned our family's first annual Anti-Black Friday. After working in retail for 6 years I want no part of the shopping craziness.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Spending the day with my "second family"...my parents best friends, who are like an aunt and uncle to me, and the rest of their family (we consider ourselves "cousins").

I'm on the hook for some sort of decadent dessert.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm spending the day with my grandparents and aunts and uncles (dad's side). We always have a big meal and then lots of laying around complaining that we all ate too much :lol:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A day off...I will have a day OFF!!!!! :) :) :) :). I normally work 6 days a week....but pumped it up to 7 since september....I'm so tired. Anyways.....sleeping in late with gizmo and marshall. Getting coffees :) and having a kitty day. Thanksgiving is a bad time for me as both my parents died around thanksgiving. I'll see my sisters at Christmas....when....I will get another day OFF!!!!! Woot!

I've been dying for chinese food...I think that's what I'm eating

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Let's see, it will be the usual Thanksgiving for me this year I think. I'll make all my favorites which are a turkey breast, green been casserole (not the soup can kind, a real one), mashed potatoes, candied yams.

I luv soup can green bean casserole! lol Seriously, how do you do yours? And how do you make your sweet taters?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
we are having Thanksgiving at home. Just my husband, our daughter Sarah and her girls, Jacob, and Gerry and his beautiful bride, Blanca. I am cooking the biggest turkey I could find, gluten free cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce ( the jelly one) and pumpkin and pecan pie! Then we will all go for a walk to make room for turkey sandwiches. I can't wait! :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I go totally old school on the yams. Just canned (very unusual in my house) yams tossed in brown sugar then tons of mini marshmallows on top and bake until it's crispy brown! I could eat them as a meal by themselves I love them so much.... but it's so much sugar and salt I only get to do it a few times a year.

Oh the other canned thing HAS to be the cranberry jelly. I find all these wonderful recipes for homemade but nope. I LOVE the jiggly bad for you canned stuff that comes out of the can with the ridges still in it. YUM! I always buy 2 cans so I have plenty leftover so I can smear it on my turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving!

Here's the recipe I use for the GB Casserole. I *WILL* buy French Fried onions to put on it because ...any excuse to buy those crunchy tasty little boogers. The leftover un-used French Fried Onions will get sprinkled on top of a steak in a few weeks. That's how I always get rid of the leftovers. LOVE THEM!

Onion Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Serves 6-8

Ingredients

2 pounds green beans, ends removed, halved
6 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup crème fraiche (or heavy cream)
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions

Preheat oven to 375º F and bring a pot of water up to a boil.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add onion slices and sauté until soft and golden, stirring frequently. 20-25 minutes. Reduce heat further if onions are getting crispy. Set aside.
In a separate pan, heat remaining butter over high heat and add mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are slightly browned. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Blanch green beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove and immediately set in an ice bath to stop them from cooking more.
Beat the egg into the crème fraiche and stir in Parmesan, nutmeg and pinch of salt and pepper.
Add mushrooms and green beans (patted dry with a paper towel) to the crème fraiche and toss to coat thoroughly.
Pour mixture into casserole dish (9x13-inch) and set caramelized onions around the edge as a border. Bake for 30 minutes, or until onions are slightly crisped.
Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes and serve hot.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Our church had it's community Thanksgiving dinner today! So nice-everyone got along and enjoyed their meal! We had turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes cornbread stuffing, cornbread SOUFFLE, and some kind of mashed potato recipe , it had mashed taters but had a sharp, tangy, spicy taste!

A senior member of our church made the cornbread stuffing...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My apartment complex had their Thanksgiving buffet tonight. Turkey, Garlic mashed, stuffing, g bean casserole, cranberry/orange sauce and hot buttered rolls.

Oh and pumpkn pie. :D It was gewd, and made better because I didn't have to cook tonight!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I'm hosting Thanksgiving for my ex husband and his mother visiting from out of state and a few of his friends.

It's amazing how much less stress goes into a mother in law visit when she's an EX mother in law.

When we were married and I knew she was visiting I'd spend a week scrubbing the house from top to bottom and freaking out about every little detail. Now... not so much.

Last night I picked up all the food. The fresh turkey breasts (2) and everything else (thy are bringing the pies and ice cream so I can skip that).

I'll do some basic cleaning today and tidy the place up... dusting and vacuuming etc but otherwise that's it. No taking the face plates off the plugs and vacuuming or pulling down light fixtures and fan paddles. No pulling apart the cabinets to vacuum inside and reorganize. I'm not even making appetizers this year.

Tonight I'll start the no knead bread to bake in the late morning.... other than that the rest of it is all downhill. I did move the table (pulled it away from the wall so it can fit 6 people). The boys are fascinated with that change in the house.

I even pulled out the christmas decos from storage and set the boxes in the spare bedroom so I can decorate on Friday.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I had a pretty good Thanksgiving! Me and Robin hung out with Norm, my catsitter and friend. Mostly I was kicking the cold I've had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts