Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatcha got planned?

This Thursday, I'm helping out at my church's free Thanksgiving dinner!

It's possible my family might all get together. I like one member's idea of prozac stuffing :lol:

Any deep friers in the house?

I like cornbread stuffing...

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I'm on an elimination diet to figure out why I'm completely covered from head to foot with red itchy wheals. So Turkey and mashed potatoes can be done but no dairy, no bread, and no dessert except maybe some non dairy coconut macaroons....

I'll probably just stay close to home and not really celebrate this year. I'm looking forward to that 4 day weekend.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Deep fry? For Turkey-Day?
No...I've got a family history with high cholesterol, so I don't eat fried foods often. Luckily, I'm a weirdo that doesn't like most deep fried things like chicken or doughnuts that most people love.

Thanksgiving will probably be a small get-together with family as it is every year. I don't know the details yet, but it's usually a pre-ordered meal that's prepared by our local co-op and with some items prepared by family, the only exception is pumpkin pie from Costco for me, lol.

And no 4 day weekend for me, will most likely work that weekend, or at least that Sunday, for a full 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My extended family of about 20 gets together at my mom's every year and everyone brings delicious food. Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, all of the delicious homemade sides and desserts imaginable... so yummy and a great time.

Sadly, I work retail so I will be rushing to work right after I eat. Working 5pm-5am Thanksgiving evening at good old Hollister.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh Mandy & Ellie :( I think it's such a shame that there can't be just one day that retail can't manage without trading.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm traveling out of state to see my extended family!...which means I have to leave Auglaize behind. My mother-in-law will be stopping by to check on her. This will be the first time Auglaize will be alone overnight in the house (as opposed to the apartment), so hopefully she does ok!

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Staying home, fixing dinner. Just a few of us but bought a huge turkey! We all love the leftovers and they don't last long. Mashed potatoes, green beans, gluten free cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie! Can't wait!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My extended family of about 20 gets together at my mom's every year and everyone brings delicious food. Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, all of the delicious homemade sides and desserts imaginable... so yummy and a great time.

Sadly, I work retail so I will be rushing to work right after I eat. Working 5pm-5am Thanksgiving evening at good old Hollister.

5 A.M.!? That would put you at a retail store on-BLACK FRIDAY! Just tell 'em you're barely conscious from the turkey enzymes, but you COULD drive to work in your sleep... 'No, no, just stay home and crash...'

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
M&E,

I certainly hope you're getting paid at the holiday rate and overtime for that. Working retail can be fun, but there are also major caveats. I think the Black Friday sales are a getting to be a bit ridiculous over the past few years. Who wants to skim their family feast and stand in crazy long lines? Not me. I've been avoiding malls from T-Day til New Years for several years now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm considering not eating for the next week so that I can deal with the 2 Thanksgiving Day meals I have to eat ("lunch"/early supper with my family, and dinner with my boyfriend's family. We do all the cooking for his family since his mom had a stroke two years ago.)

I've been bravely managing two Thanksgiving Day feasts a year for the last 15 years ;} It's fun though, as my family is Mexican on my mom's side, so our Thanksgiving meals are a mix of American and Mexican dishes. My boyfriend is Chinese, but his family always makes a fully-traditional American Thanksgiving meal!

I most look forward to the delicious "shi-fan" (rice porridge) that gets made with the remaining turkey meat after Thanksgiving Day. My boyfriend's mom used to make a giant pot of it, now we learned the recipe and it's our duty. It's the most magnificent meal on a cold night in Southern California (you know, when it drops below 60F or so...)

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
LW - For the past two years I've had FOUR Thanksgiving dinners over a period of 3 days. Another reason I'm looking forward to hunkering down at home and enjoying a quiet holiday. :) It's also supposed to snow on the Friday after so Im EXTRA excited.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Oh Mandy & Ellie :( I think it's such a shame that there can't be just one day that retail can't manage without trading.
Oh, I know it... I had slight hopes because many companies in the US were proudly closing on Thanksgiving this year so their employees could enjoy the holiday. Sadly, our company wasn't one of them. :neutral: My shift has now been extended until 15+ hours, which will be crazy... so my Thanksgiving will most likely be spent sleeping to prepare for that long shift.

5 A.M.!? That would put you at a retail store on-BLACK FRIDAY! Just tell 'em you're barely conscious from the turkey enzymes, but you COULD drive to work in your sleep... 'No, no, just stay home and crash...'
Yes! The mall opens at 6pm Thanksgiving. So us employees have to be there at 5pm to prepare for the madness and have a game plan. The mall stays open from 6pm Thanksgiving until the regular time of 9pm Friday night. And seriously - last year I had to avoid the turkey so I could stay awake for my shift!

M&E,

I certainly hope you're getting paid at the holiday rate and overtime for that. Working retail can be fun, but there are also major caveats. I think the Black Friday sales are a getting to be a bit ridiculous over the past few years. Who wants to skim their family feast and stand in crazy long lines? Not me. I've been avoiding malls from T-Day til New Years for several years now.
I completely agree... Black Friday is just ridiculous! Especially since our sales are actually usually better the weeks following... but for some reason people still go insane for BF and miss out on celebrating with their family to stand in horrendously long lines for meager sales. I am being paid time-and-a-half for the first 12 hours we're open... but sadly, I only make minimum wage so that will only put me at about $12 an hour (sure is better than $8, though!) Luckily this will be my last Black Friday ever since I am graduating with my degree in May and will be leaving retail for good! :mrgreen: Although the hours and craziness can suck, I'm lucky to have great coworkers to make it less terrible. And the way I look at it, is atleast I'll have a good paycheck for Christmas!

And I 100% agree with you... I can't stand big crowds and avoid the mall like the plague during the holidays (only go to work). I do 99% of my holiday shopping online.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re deep-frying. For a while it was the latest craze. You set up a deep-fryer outside, drop in the bird-voila-deep-fried turkey! From what I've heard it's pretty tasty. The drawbacks of course are the fat and cholesterol, and fires and injury from hot grease.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!
We've got a 'White' one!:p
And cold! It's almost 11:00am, where we are, and we've made it to 20° degrees!
1448563688665.jpg

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I'm so jealous!!! We didn't get ANYTHING except below freezing temperatures!!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I''m stuffed, feeling sick to my stomach and headed to lay down with my boyos.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone catch the Macy's parade? Luv the Snoopy balloon...

I got together with some friends, went out, had turkey. Brought some home for Robin...

Last thing I remember was the Bears- Packers game. Da Bears was winnin and Green Bay was trying to score with 5 minutes on the clock...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts