Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to ask (because we dont have it here in australia) what date is thanksgiving, or if it changes every year like easter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry jeanie, but i dont know what lent is neither. we dont have these holidays here in oz. :?
plus our spring is sept, oct, nov so i'll be waiting a while. :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Lent is a period of 40 weekdays before Easter. It is a time for contemplation, repentance and, in some Christian Churches (like the Roman Catholic) a time for sacrificing or fasting. It is a preparation for Easter, during which there are mid-week Lenten services. The last week in Lent most churches have at least three extra services; the saddest of these is Good Friday, when Christ died. Easter Sunday, of course, is the day Christ arose.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Our thanksgiving is in October. I actually have no idea why they're different dates. :oops:

Cause ours is a month earlier, it's not as much of a start to the christmas season as it is a day off work and a huge meal.

Are there any Aussie holidays we don't get?

I have an Aussie friend I talk to online - goes to the beach on Christmas day - must be nice! He's in Queensland.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's tons. the "main" ones i guess would be - Australia day (celebrating australia's independence), Labour day, ANZAC day (which new zealand celebrates also, but i'm not sure what that's even for.) :wink: Then there's lots of little ones like the Queen's b'day and The Melbourne Cup (which is probably the biggest event here in Victoria but not so big in other states). you've probably heard of all them anyway but they're pretty much the only ones i'm farmiliar with. :wink:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Canada's Thanksgiving Day is the United States' Columbus Day. The Thanksgiving Day we know in the U.S. is actually pretty new. Public Law Number 379, dated December 26, 1941, mandates that it be celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. So Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. is always celebrated between November 22nd and November 28th.

There's more written on the origins of Thanksgiving, the meaning behind the holiday, and the symbolism of some of the foods we serve at http://www.linguatics.com/thanksgiving.htm.

·
Registered
866 Posts
We have Labour Day and the Queens b-day here in Canada too. Good ole commonwealth. Oh - and in Canada we Remembrance Day on Nov. 11, and not Memorial day (which is earlier in the states I think).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats right - Rememberence day! :D the minute of silence at 11.00am. how could i forget that one! :wink: i told youse i'm not too good with holidays! :wink:

oh and thanx Annissa, that site cleared a few things up :D

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Bean, is Remembrance Day like our Memorial Day? I think the moment of silence is a wonderful idea. We can learn a thing or two from our best neighbor.

By the way, Pennsylvania is a Commonwealth too. There are just a couple of us. Most are states. However, most of us say, "the state of Pennsylvania." Maybe William Penn's influence was still strong when we declared our independence from the motherland. :wink: Of course, he'd been dead for quite a long time......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts