Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an article just came out talking about how older cats start to cry at night. My cat is at the threshold of that age. She is extremely healthy, so I don't think she's crying because she's sick or blind or deaf (she hunts and is good at it).
Why Do Cats Howl When They Get Older? | Care2 Healthy Living
So I am presenting the article to you, but i don't think it's going to help me.

She wants to go out and she wants to come in. Quite simple.
If I was the only one in the house, it might be easier to ignore her, but she also wakes my DH up and that makes me hypersensitive to her cries, which for the most part are not so loud.
She likes to sleep on my bed, but is easily disturbed, then jumps down and starts howling. Sometimes she comes back in and settles down again, but not always. I have two other cats, one she does not like (much younger) and an older cat who is her bud. The other two cats are quiet at night.

any behavioral ideas??
I have already imagined her in a room where when she meows, dog barking noises turn on. the more she cries the louder the "dogs" get.
that's just a fantasy, i don't have the wherewithal to do that.

i await your suggestions. Oh yeah, if i let her out, she will eventually cry to be let back in. I feed her right before we go to bed, with the idea that a full belly will help her sleep.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I've noticed that some older cats as they age and start to lose their hearing, also start meowing more and louder. Is she losing her hearing? Try making some noises behind her to see if she can hear them. I really don't think you can do anything about it.....no hearing aids for cats as far as I know yet. I can sympathize with you feeling sleep deprived, and it's for that reason my cats have never been allowed in the bedroom at night. They get snuggle time during a late afternoon nap.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my husband is outof the house for a few days and I tried an experiment. When Aggie cries, I don't let her out, not until morning. It's clear to me that the presence of Nutmeg (small tabby) is what upsets her the most. Nutmeg has lived here for 2 years now. (We did a lengthy introduction which went really well. Aggie didn't decide she hated nutmeg until about a year ago.

So day 1 wasn't too bad, day 2 was a little worse (noise wise) but it's clear that as long as Nutmeg stays out of the bedroom Aggie will be quiet(er) which doesn't seem fair for Nutmeg!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It sounds to me like she's got you trained.

If I was in the situation I would set things up the way I liked them, and let her cry. Tough luck princess! lol. When she stops crying call her over for some snuggles, but that's it. It is night time, when you're supposed to be sleeping.

The first few nights will be horrible, but if you stick it out until she gives up you'll win. If you give in after one night...she learns that next time crying louder works, and you have a bigger problem.

Torri will occasionally try to wake us up in the middle of the night to play. Since I sleep like a rock it's easy for me to ignore her, she has to hit my face or lick my toes to wake me up even a little! My BF on the other hand sleeps pretty lightly. She she'll pounce him knowing she'll get a reaction. At that point she doesn't care if he's mad, as long as he's reacting. She leave me alone because even if I do wake up the most she gets is a grumble before I'm back asleep. No fun.

Stick to your guns, let her fuss. Remember "I am more stubborn than my cat!" lol, that's my mantra for difficult days.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Library chick, that's the plan. Last night was downright peaceful. I told my DH that when he comes home, he's going to have to pretend he can't hear Aggie before 5am (that's when we start getting up)
thanks for your 2 cents!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Husband was away for a week. Aggie cried some nights, not others. Then it got warm and we turned the fan on. THIS she found disturbing and cried most the night. She is getting the message that no one will let her out before 5am though, as husband has agreed to the new rule.
She's still waking me up alot, but maybe there's hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts