Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has seen this movie? I loved it as a kid.
My husband and I were digging through the $5.50 DVDs at Walmart and found it. My husband said he wanted to buy it since it's a good movie and someday it will good for our kids to watch (awww). I was reading about it online and some of the sites mentioned that there was a lot of animal cruelty involved in the making of the movie. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just a rumor? I searched google but didn't really find too much.

·
Registered
449 Posts
honestly, if there was animal cruelty involved, PETA'd be all over it like a squirrel on peanutbutter

sometimes rumors are just rumors

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For all I know, they were. The movie was made in the 80s. And it was filmed by a Japanese filmaker...don't know where it was actually filmed though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That movie used to be my favorite. I can remember when it first came out - I was pretty little at the time - but I heard there were several "Milo" kittens killed (by drowning during the river scene) making the movie. I am not sure if this was true or not, but it has stuck with me.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
shengmei said:
Well, the Japanese people had water beds for their cats (last I heard).....so they can't be that cruel to animals, I guess.
That makes absolutely no logical sense.

As for the film, I couldn't really find any solid evidence that animals were harmed or killed during filming. Though I will note that there's a difference between "harmed" and "stressed", and watching some of those scenes I don't see how the poor cat and pup could not have been majorly stressed. But that's just me... :wink:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow! Do I feel old. I watched that movie when my kids were little, not when I was little. :wink: I loved it. I think we still have a copy floating around here. I do hope the rumors aren't true though.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I also was digging through the bin at Wal-mart with my bf when we got that movie. I doubt animals were hurt and hope it isn't true. 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts