Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone been following this? One of the latest nominees is Kermit! He responded to Vince McMahon's challenge at great risk to himself. being an amphibian, being drenched in freezing cold water could have caused him to go into dormancy! He nominated his movie co-stars.

JUST!!! an idea...maybe WE could do something to raise awareness for cats in need? Nothing too crazy...

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I know it's for a good cause, but I'm SOOOO over this.

Kermit's next song will be, "It's Not Easy Being Blue."

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
THey've raised 8.6million in ONE day for ALS. That's an amazing feat. I've never seen a fund raise like this go viral. I think it's awesome.

There are some celebrities I've been so surprised at. Good AND bad. For example Justin Bieber has done it twice..... neither times with ICE water. He bsed it and just used a pot of water... The second time I presume was to show off his chest since the only change was without his shirt....

I love that people I didn't expect to do it... did. Bill Gates, JLo, Chris Meloni did it twice (the first time no one recorded it, that cracked me up), even my old high school principle has a video of herself doing the ice bucket challenge.

I love it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think on my news feed it's calmed down. Most of my facebook friends have done it, including me. Although we didn't have any ice, so I just used the cold water from the hose... >.>

I'm actually enjoying watching people dumping water on themselves. It can be pretty entertaining.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Chris Pratt is my favorite so far. When you watch it, you'll see why. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
He makes me want to puke in that bucket.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I just heard this subject on talk radio who already predicted that it would be the start of many more crazy campaigns to come. They were asking for callers that were sick of it. The thing is a lot of those people who dumped water DIDN'T contribute. I really didn't get it because I thought the challenge said dump the water OR contribute. I would just contribute. But agreed I don't mind watching all the other movie stars, etc. do it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
He makes me want to puke in that bucket.
AND THEN pour it on his head.

I've completely lost what little respect I had for him as an actor. He was ...ok.... but certainly not as wonderful as HE thinks he is. Then he just acts a moron and it's OK because he's a celebrity. I keep expecting him to be the next "Found in a hotel room dead" headline.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The thing is a lot of those people who dumped water DIDN'T contribute. I really didn't get it because I thought the challenge said dump the water OR contribute.
I just had this discussion with a co worker. His kids all did the challenge (they are quite young) and of course didn't contribute. I guess a big part of this is awareness. ALS isn't a terribly talked about disease and anything that brings it to light so people are aware the better. The more people who are aware the more funding for research.

·
Banned
63 Posts
To be honest, this campaign has made me feel a bit grumpy today. I would like to see this kind of money go to no-kill shelters and rescue groups.

I don't know that much about this particular organization, but my problem with some of the disease advocacy fundraising groups is that their track-records often aren't that great in terms of how their fundraising correlates to development of cures, treatments, improving survival rates, etc... Some of the cancer groups regularly make the lists of worst charities in terms of how much money they take in vs. how much they spend on their mission.

On the other hand, money given to individuals and shelters rescuing cats often goes very directly to saving lives. Maybe we need to come up with a similar campaign for cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
From what I've read, most or all of the celebrities also donated money, which is why they've received over $30 million in pledges so far.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I love animals and agree we need to give freely to shelters/rescues.... BUT imagine a disease that destroys your ability to use your hands.... then your arms.... then your legs.... sometimes they can't talk... or swallow....eventually you can't breathe on your own. Your mind is still sharp, you're aware of your surroundings and the fact that you can't move or breathe on your own. YOu're now trapped in a husk of a shell.... until it eventually kills you.

I'd say that finding a way to cure/treat this is a worthy cause.....

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I can't even imagine that. All those comments in my head and not being able to say them. Noooooooooooooooo!!

That's definitely one of those diseases where I would hope someone in my life would help me end it at some point. It's a horrible way to die (not that there are any good ways).

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
. Maybe we need to come up with a similar campaign for cats.

That's what I've been thinking. I'm thinking, something with bikes. Bicycling long distance, bicycling in the rain... Of course It would need to be inclusive something everyone can do...

·
Banned
63 Posts
I love animals and agree we need to give freely to shelters/rescues.... BUT imagine a disease that destroys your ability to use your hands.... then your arms.... then your legs.... sometimes they can't talk... or swallow....eventually you can't breathe on your own. Your mind is still sharp, you're aware of your surroundings and the fact that you can't move or breathe on your own. YOu're now trapped in a husk of a shell.... until it eventually kills you.

I'd say that finding a way to cure/treat this is a worthy cause.....
I don't disagree at all, but it's a lot more complicated than that when you get down to the nuts and bolts of coming up with treatments and cures. How effective the effort is depends first on how the organization directs the money. Then, there are questions of the limitations of the current science and technology. No researcher can be an expert in every field, and sometimes the research is stuck because there is, as yet, no practical way to do what they need to do to treat the disease. The technology may not exist. Then there is the politics involved among researchers and drug companies.

I have a friend who works for a major pharmaceutical company. His entire job is running around the world trying to coordinate research and clinical trials. He gets paid a LOT of money, but the thing he has explained to me is that you can't buy scientific breakthroughs. They often happen literally by accident.

You can raise awareness about a disease, and that's certain a good thing to do, but we sometimes have the idea that if we simply spend more money, we'll get a cure. In some cases, however, where the money needs to be spent is not obvious. A technology may be developed completely unrelated to the effort to to treat a disease that then makes the treatment possible.

What I'd like to know in this case is: Is there a potential treatment that could be developed with additional funding, or are all the current researchers basically up against the same brick wall? In the latter case, spending money on research that's hit a dead-end may not yield further progress.

I hope I don't come across as heartless here. That's not my intent. I'd like to see a cure for ALS for all the reasons that you cite, but there's a big difference between a campaign and a cure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts