Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Before this get's taken down, I'll add that it's
how I take care of my boy's teeth too. A raw quail once a week (Book also gets chicken wings twice a week).

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
That is awesome! I love hearing him crunch and smack his lips lol.

I have been trying to get my Sunny to chew on chicken necks or wings, but we have recently found out that he has an upper canine tooth that is split in half so no wonder he wasn't keen on chewing on bone, the poor thing. 8-O We're going to try him again once he has the extraction and has completely healed from it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Why would it get taken down?
I was wondering the same thing too :?:

DD&C, how often to you feed a chicken neck for teeth cleaning?

MowMow, how many chicken wings do your feed Book for a tooth cleaning session?
Also, do you think the chicken wings might be enough on their own, without feeding the quail too?

I ask that because I truly cannot handle the raw bit. I am alright for basic stuff like steaks, chicken legs and breasts and ground beef.
Outside of that I can't take it. (I already know I'm pitiful) The smell gets to me, the feel of the meat, ESPECIALLY offal! (That's enough to make me physically ill)
I think I can do the chicken wings though so I was just wondering how much and how often you both thought would be sufficient. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Cat Forum Rules:

4b. Photos are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, etc. Specifically, photos/videos (or links to photos/videos) of dead or dismembered animals and pets eating any type of raw food are not allowed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? I have to say, and I'm not being argumentative. That's exceptionally.... I don't know, I'm not going to get in to it. I dont usually disagree with rules. But this one is....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Cat Face - Book gets wings as part of his raw prey model diet. So those aren't JUST for his teeth. He gets .10% of food as raw meaty bones. That comes to about a wing tip(which he now refuses to eat) and a half of a small wing section (not the drummet, the section with two bones surrounded by meat, I cut down between the bones and separate them).

MowMow gets (and Book does as well) a full raw quail late Sunday afternoons. It takes the place of both his lunch and is fed late enough to cover his dinner. Book's quail is just cut in half and plopped on a plate because he has no problem digging in. MowMOw's has to be put into manageable sections with kitchen shears and I toss the little drumsticks out because he NEVER eats those anymore. I don't know if he's not strong enough any longer or they are just too much work after such a big meal....

I buy the quail 12 in a pack from the local high end grocery market (for about 20 bucks). They come cleaned and frozen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never tried it but couldn't you just brush a cat's teeth? Now, I know some of our cats might scratch my face off if I tried but some may grudgingly allow it. We take our cats to the vet for dentals every two years. It's expensive but it has to be done.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Really? I have to say, and I'm not being argumentative. That's exceptionally.... I don't know, I'm not going to get in to it. I dont usually disagree with rules. But this one is....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
As with many of the rules on the forum, there is history that created the need for such a rule. Since the discussion part of the thread could be useful, rather than delete the thread, I posted the rule to serve as a reminder to everyone as it hasn't come up in a while.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Farciot, sure you can brush your cats teeth...but most people don't.

I use raw bones as well and it's made a huge difference.

As an example, when I took Doran to the vet in October (little eye issue) his teeth were getting bad...which I thought was odd since he's always been raw fed. However, I had been feeding the boys with Jitzu and she had been stealing their bone-in chunks. So, I split them up for their feedings and when I had to take Doran in to the vet again two weeks ago she said his teeth were much better and would no longer need a dental cleaning.

So, for the cost of 2 packages of chicken wings (roughly $30) I saved myself about $1000 (stupid dental cleaning are pricey here), and Doran didn't have to go under anesthetic. I'm calling it a win.

As far as the pictures go, I know we did have some problems a while ago...I don't suppose there's any way we could have an exception and allow them in the raw feeding sub forum if the thread is clearly marked???

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yes, I could brush my boys teeth but I would rather give them the raw meaty bones that are so good for them and make them so happy. IMO it does a better job without upsetting them and it's a great treat for them.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That is exactly why I'm going to give chicken wings a try. Hopefully they will take it! Particularly my older cat!!
It isn't as much the cost (while that is bad enough) .. as it is going under for a 14.5 yr old kitty!! THAT I am NOT a fan of. So, I'm willing to give it a go and see how she does

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Farciot, I WISH!

Vets here all quote a starting cost of $1000, plus extra if they have to pull teeth, between $50-$100 PER TOOTH.

It's a huge scam :/ But they all do it so they can get away with it.

I love the vet I see, but she's a young vet and doesn't own the clinic, so she has no say in what the cost is. I don't hold her accountable for the owner's practices. *shrugs*

If your cat will eat raw bones it's a much better deal all 'round. Less stress, less cost, and it make them happy. No brainer in my house :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those prices are an outrage. My wife and I get upset with the $400 per cat.

Concerning the bones, how do you keep the cats from dragging them off somewhere? I'm sure some of our cats would do that to get away from the other cats. "Sharing" is not in their code of conduct.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
How can I entice my cat to eat the chicken wings? It's funny but the one that eats raw animals won't touch them. They never get sick from the bacteria?

·
Registered
392 Posts
How can I entice my cat to eat the chicken wings? It's funny but the one that eats raw animals won't touch them. They never get sick from the bacteria?
Have you tried feeding them? Some take to raw meat with no issues at all. Also, cats, as carnivores, have a shorter digestive tract than us (omnivores). This helps prevent illness because bacteria doesn't have enough time to multiply to dangerous levels.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
They don't get sick off a mouse or bird they just killed and ate lol

Seriously, their digestive system is a bit different to ours in that area and they can eat some pretty dodgy stuff like it's nothing

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I've prevented the 'bones around my house' in a few ways at times. Right now the most successful is to separate the cats: Doran and Muffin in the 'cat room' in the basement (cement floor, can be wiped down with vinegar easily), Jitzu in the main part of the house (has a 'food mat' she takes her bones to that we wash regularly), and Torri eats hers in a kennel in our room.

I have fed them all in separate kennels before, but we got sick of having kennels stacked in our kitchen. I'll likely go back to kennels at some point in the future when we can buy matching/stackable decent ones...or when we eventually get a dog.

To get them started I'd first see if they'll eat it. You'd be surprised.

If just plopping down a wing in front of them doesn't work my step 2 is to cut the wing into 3 pieces - drummette, middle bit, tip - then coat it in wet cat food. Give that a shot. Sometimes they just need to start licking it to catch on that it's food if they've never had raw food prepared before.

There is a HUGE difference between catching and devouring a mouse and being given a (probably cold) featherless chicken wing. Heating it up using hot tap water can help sometimes, but usually they just need a bet of enticement to get going.

For cats who have only ever eaten kibble or wet food it's a longer process involving switching to all wet, then small bites of raw, then larger chunks of boneless meat, then eventually to chunks with smashed bone, then to whole bone. They need to work up to chunks with bones to build up their jaw strength.

It's like the difference between eating cereal every day and eating a steak. You don't really need to chew cereal, so your jaws would have a hard time with steak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts