Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long post, but I'm starting to see a major issue with Margaux and Celia that's worrying me. Both about 12 (I think I aged them by a year in a previous post!) and have lived together for 10 1/2 years.

Margaux's always been the queen cat. She's a serious bully, and this seems to be getting worse. If Celia is drinking water, Margaux pushes her off the bowl, even though she often doesn't drink. Whenever I try to play with just Celia, Margaux suddenly wants to play and takes over. If I'm petting Celia on the bed, Margaux sits next to the bed and wants her head petted. etc.

More and more, Celia won't eat if Margaux's there. Margaux will finish her food, I'll quietly coax Celia back, and Margaux will creep in. She'll sit a couple of feet away and stare at Celia until Celia walks away.

Margaux has never been a cuddly cat. Though she follows me everywhere and always greets me at the door, she hates being picked up or brushed and only wants to be petted on her head. Over the past year or so, she's wanted more attention, maybe because she's blind (has been for 3 years), but now Celia seems unhappy. Celia's timid and skittish and has always needed a lot of attention. We've had an evening routine for the past 6 or 7 years where I sit lengthwise on the couch and she stretches out along my legs for a good long brush-brush and petting.

In the past two weeks, Margaux, who generally avoids the couch and hasn't sat on it once since we moved here 2 years ago, has taken to napping there, and if she's there, Celia will not come up. Last night, Celia was happily ensconced between my legs when Margaux jumped up. Although she didn't try to take Celia's spot and just moved towards the end of the couch looking for some space, Celia immediately hopped off the couch and would not come back up for the rest of the evening.

Celia's seemed sad for the past couple of months, and I realized that this started around the time she suddenly got finicky. I wonder if the fact that Margaux's getting more attention than she used to is upsetting her? I'm trying to give Celia extra time and attention, but Margaux is making this difficult.

What do you do about a bully cat?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have two male cats about 9 and 10 years old. The younger one sounds like Margaux. He meets everyone at the door, hates to be picked up, doesn't like being pet but likes a good head scratching when he is in the mood. Fortunately the other cat is not timid. I supervise meals. If I don't, Little Guy will eat Big Guy's food. If supervising doesn't work then you may want to separate them at meal time. And you may want to spend some time with Celia with Margaux shut out of the room.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Janz. You're lucky that Big Guy isn't timid! Celia is small and sometimes not very smart. I've tried to shut Margaux out of a room before, and guess what Celia does...She goes up to the closed door and scratches until I open it. :roll: After 10 years, she still tries to touch noses with Margaux when Margaux's hungry, so she gets slapped up side the head, and she still pounces on Margaux's back, so she gets smacked around until she yowls pitifully from under the couch. Again: :roll:

It's been a couple of years though, and since Celia seems more intimidated than she used to be, I'll try again and see if she gets that I'm trying to do something good for her. When I told my mother about this, she said "Well look at the size of her head. How big do you think her brain could possibly be?" :-?

·
Registered
362 Posts
She goes up to the closed door and scratches until I open it.
Yeah, cats don't like closed doors. Whichever side they're on they want to be on the other side.

Maybe you could find a new place, other than the couch, to spend quality time with Celia. Little Guy listens to me pretty well except in the bedroom. He thinks the bedroom is his room, no matter how many times I tell him it is not.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He thinks the bedroom is his room, no matter how many times I tell him it is not.
:grin:

Every room is their room, and wherever you need to be is their sudden favorite for sprawling out.

My bed was a pretty good place for Celia to get some time with me, since Margaux won't come up there. But Margaux now comes and sits on the floor right next to the bed and gives me sad face if I don't scratch her head. Geez. I didn't realize until now how manipulative she is!

I may have to just ignore her for a while.

Just checked the couch. It's occupied...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts