Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see it? I thought it was a wonderful movie!!!! Heath Ledger's performance of The Joker was amazing.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I just saw this last weekend. It was a good movie but I have never seen the other Batman movies out there. Heath Ledger playing Joker really made the movie fabulous.

Maybe because I went there at a late showing or because I just ate dinner & that makes me more sleepy but I felt that this movie wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie but I don't know about for all time. Maybe because we went in there with extremely high expectations hearing that this movie is passing up Godfather & Titanic on the top 250 list of all time movies.

I also like Maggie Gyllenhaal but I think they could of picked another girl for the role. 8)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I'm probably going to watch it this weekend with flatmate. I have seen clips of the 'pencil trick' though ... 8O

EDIT: I'd better remove the link as its a bit violent but go over to YouTube and type 'Dark Knight Pencil Trick' - the first one that comes up is good.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Without giving too much away, there's a massive fuss here about it's rating. In the UK it was given a 12A cert. This basically means anyone over 12 can see it on their own. But under 12s have to have an adult with them, but they are entitled to go.
It contains the afore mentioned pencil trick, some pretty horrific makeup from burns, and a fair amount of close up threats with knives. IMO it in no way should it have been classified a 12A. It certainly should have been a 15.

We saw 6 and 7 year olds going to that film 8O 8O Some did not look happy at all. I was wincing at some of it, and I'm no softy.

I think most people assumed it was going to be like the previous Batman films, which were ok. I over heard one lady say "what happened to Robin?" Obviously thought it was going to be like the wonderfully over the top camp TV seres :D

Having said all that, I thought it was a bit long, but overall a good film. The entire cast was simply out-acted by the talents of the late Mr Ledger.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I don't think this movie would be so huge if Heath Ledger hadn't died. I know how cynical that sounds, but there was certainly no "Oscar talk" about his performance until after he died, and filming had been completed for months. If there was no tragic death, I think this would just be another Batman movie.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm not too sure about that actually Marie. Maybe you have a point about the oscars, but he was certainly one of the best people in it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
marie73 said:
I don't think this movie would be so huge if Heath Ledger hadn't died. I know how cynical that sounds, but there was certainly no "Oscar talk" about his performance until after he died, and filming had been completed for months. If there was no tragic death, I think this would just be another Batman movie.
"Just another Batman movie" still has incredible hype. Comic book (or action that resembles comic-style) movies are immensely popular right now, and this one was spot-on in every way. Great story, great characters, outstanding performances. It's rare that moviegoers are graced with two actors such as Christian Bale and Heath Ledger in the same film - actors who can fully inhabit a character, creating nuance, not just playing the same cookie-cutter thing over and over again.

I cannot possibly say enough good things about Heath Ledger's performance, and it has nothing to do with his death. It was simply fantastic.

Something that Hollywood gets too little of nowadays.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm sure we'll be getting the movie soon. My Brother is sort of a Batman fan. Nice to know so far everyone thinks it's good. :D

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I'm sure it got more hyped up because of Heath Ledger's death but whether he died or not, his role as the Joker was really good & Oscar worthy. He really kept my interest at peak in the movie.

Some say that since he died so young & having done a huge Blockbuster before his death & good movies before that, that he may be an idol or legend like James Dean. :p

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Heather102180 said:
Did anyone else see it? I thought it was a wonderful movie!!!! Heath Ledger's performance of The Joker was amazing.
The movie was outstanding, I was skeptic at first, I thought everyone's review were biased because of Heath's passing.. (don't flame me please!!) but HE was the movie, I'll be buying this movie on Blue Ray.
I HIGHLY recommend it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
lol, I think this movie is anything but "just another Batman movie". I think if anyone went back and watched the old Batman movies they'd probably agree. :D They were so cheesey.

Also, Heath Ledger did an amazing performance for Brokeback Mountain, and he didn't die after that movie... In any case, whether or not Heath Ledger was in the Dark Knight, I think there's no contest between Batman Begins/the Dark Knight and previous Batman movies. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Silver deer said:
Also, Heath Ledger did an amazing performance for Brokeback Mountain, and he didn't die after that movie... In any case, whether or not Heath Ledger was in the Dark Knight, I think there's no contest between Batman Begins/the Dark Knight and previous Batman movies. :)
Heck yeah he is a heck of an actor!
Heath was so good, I was scared, in the past the joker was not scary at all, I think there is a big difference between Jack Nicholson's joker and Heath's, I am not saying Heath is the better actor, the characters are so different from the then batman movies to the most current one.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
You're all probably right. It was just a total coincidence that the Oscar buzz began the day after Heath died. But I still think that it's Heath fans that are making this movie the financial blockbuster it is, not just Batman fans. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
marie73 said:
You're all probably right. It was just a total coincidence that the Oscar buzz began the day after Heath died. But I still think that it's Heath fans that are making this movie the financial blockbuster it is, not just Batman fans. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, but it is what it is.
I agree with you!! There is nothing wrong with that, they want to honor his memory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts