Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else here had second thoughts about adopting because of the hard times we are having with the economy? There is a cat where I volunteer that I would really like to bring home but I wonder what would happen if either my husband or I were laid off for any length of time. We already have six to feed and vet. I wonder if others are having the same thoughts, and if the shelters are experiencing fewer people wanting to adopt for the same reason.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I will find out Monday when I call my adoption lady about my two fosters I've tamed. If she thinks they would languish within their program, I may want to keep them, but I don't know. I don't want to, because I already have 9 cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,354 Posts
There's a cat I've fallen in love with where I volunteer, also. But since I'm already laid off, it's not even a possibility. Our shelters are full and a good part of the reason is people relinquishing their pets due to losing their homes. Craigslist is also packed with people giving up their pets due to economics.

Some of our shelters are having "no fee" adoptions because of overcrowding and people not wanting to spend a lot on adoptions.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I've not been looking, but it makes sense that there are fewer adoptions and more cats being dropped off.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Its a sad state of affairs at our shelters right now. People are giving up their pets by droves. Our local no kill shelter below Tucson has over 100 cats right now. They can manage 30/40 comfortably. They had an out break of ringworm and they are quarantined. So we are the only place in town to have kittens and cats available. Which is nice for us but sad for all the deserving cats who cant be adopted out over there.

I would never give up my two cats. I would never rent where I couldn't have my cats either. I just dont understand the mindset of giving up a cat or dog. We've taken cats to temporarily for women's shelter till the women could get back on their feet.

If this cat doesnt have a chance I would encourage you to take her/him. Its wise of you to count the cost of one more cat.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
The local news just did a segment on this the other night. They interviewed a young couple who really wanted to adopt a cat. They showed them loving on her and she clearly was a sweet cat. They said they had to go home and really crunch some numbers after the shelter told them how much a cat can cost over time. I hope that they will be able to come back and get the kitty- they really seemed like a match made in heaven.

Crystal is coming to live with us tomorrow and I really can't afford to add her to the mix, but I can afford her better than my son can right now. Gracie just had to go to the vet yesterday and it was $128, so that takes the little stash I had put away for Crystal.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mitts & Tess said:
If this cat doesnt have a chance I would encourage you to take her/him. Its wise of you to count the cost of one more cat.
The place where I volunteer is a no-kill shelter where the cats roam free in their rooms. Jake is a four year old boy who was born there. He is so shy that nobody has been interested in adopting him, but he is very sweet if you can catch him and pet and cuddle him. He is in no danger if he is not adopted, but is also not likely that anyone else will ever take him.

I have a little savings for vet bills, but that wouldn't last long if either hubby or I were out of work. Just a lot of what-ifs really.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I would love to add another kitten, especially when you see all the unwanteds on craigslist just staring at you. But I just can't even think about adding more "cat costs" than are needed right now. Besides that........hubby has already warned me, that if I did, and he had to pay for more cat food, I'd be living in the barn! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 6 cats that were all picked up off the streets, my husband has just left me so I do not have a lot of money right now, but I feel that keeping them would be better than giving them up right now, our no-kill is full, so I am keeping them, it is better then putting them out on the streets

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Katlover those are the ones that tug on your heart. It will take a special person to adopt him but they are out there.

We trapped a beautiful siamese who was right at the cut off point of being socialized. We named her Cher. We took her but she was returned 2 times.

I think 3 is the charm. A woman came who knows cats & took her along with another very social kitty. She said if she hids under the bed for the next two years that would be fine. The woman let us know Cher is starting to come around. She watches the interaction of the friendly cat and is learning~ slowly, it is safe.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
avilakat said:
I have 6 cats that were all picked up off the streets, my husband has just left me so I do not have a lot of money right now, but I feel that keeping them would be better than giving them up right now, our no-kill is full, so I am keeping them, it is better then putting them out on the streets
Im so sorry this has happened to you. Please do not abandon your kitties back on the streets. Its a death sentence. It would break your heart to hear stories of the horrible conditions my TNR group finds cats in that have been dumped.

There is always a way for you to place them or find someone to keep them till you get on your feet, if it would come to that. Our TNR group helps people out with food. Local rescues that would help you work thru this. There is always a way.

Again so sorry.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Mitts & Tess said:
She watches the interaction of the friendly cat and is learning~ slowly, it is safe.
I used Dusty that way to help tame and socialize Pretty. I would put the food in the plate and as Dusty ate I would pet him. Eventually Pretty would approach and eat, too and as I petted Dusty I would 'accidentally' also sometimes pet Pretty. It took a long time for her to stop scooting away and looking at me with distrust. The first time I was able to pet her and SEE that she realized that felt 'good' was a very moving moment and a turning point in my ability to tame/socialize her. We progressed well after that. Not rapidly, but with more forward progress than we'd had previously.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Merry, the story of your Siamese Cher are the kind that make it all worth while.
People are so thoughtless sometimes in the way they get rid of cats. I have a good friend who fosters and works rescue. There is a launder mat across from the Pet Supplies Plus where she usually sits to adopt out cats. The owner called her to say that someone had dumped a litter of kittens into the Salvation Army box outside his store. He could hear them crying in there. What could that idiot have been thinking??? :evil: Anyway, she got them out and now has a few more kittens for someone to adopt.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I, too, used to think "there is always a way" and for the most part (especially in my own life) I still do.

But I've seen some things lately that've helped me to understand that sometimes, there is no recourse but to drop a beloved pet on a doorstep somewhere and go.

Of course, folks in that situation aren't kicking back reading the internet, so they won't know that someone on a catforum somewhere understood why they did what they did.

I just think it's important that those of use who have the privilege of enough discretionary cash and time to surf the net recognize that it's not all black and white out there.

Whole families are moving into shelters. It's a mess and it's projected to get worse before it begins to improve. Those of us who can should help those who are in trouble; I just found out that my local food banks now donate pet food to people in need so I'll be bringing them cat and dog food as often as I can.

I know many, many of you already donate resources and it's sad to see the need growing like this. If it begins to feel hopeless sometimes, just remember the story of the boy and the starfishes. Every time someone is helped, it matters.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
One person cannot change the world. But by making a difference, that one person can sometimes change the world for one needy person/animal.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Meals on Wheels now will bring food for your cat or dog because they discovered people were giving up their meals to feed their companion pets.

Our no kill shelter locally gets alot of opended and cat/dog food that isnt the brand they use and do large hauls over to the food bank locally. The food bank will take opened bags of pet food.

I think Im lucky because alot of the rescues in my area do resource together and help each other out.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Mitts & Tess said:
I would never give up my two cats. I would never rent where I couldn't have my cats either. I just dont understand the mindset of giving up a cat or dog. We've taken cats to temporarily for women's shelter till the women could get back on their feet.
I can't imagine having to give up Toby to an animal centre and indeed made sure I had a 'back up' plan if ever I'm not able to look after him for a time (my brother, or at a push (because she has a cat already), my mother). I promised him he wouldnt ever go into another shelter and he wont.

However, not everyone has this option, this back up plan. Peoples circumstances can change dramatically and the option of temporary fostering is not always feasible. And if it were a choice between being homeless and living in rented accommadation that didnt allow pets, I know which I would choose.

Perhaps I'm too idealistic, but I'd like to think that not everyone who gives up their animal to a shelter is irresponsible. I'm sure there are circumstances whereby there is simply no other option.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
One person cannot change the world.

Heidi, I have to disagree, though I imagine it is mostly semantics. I think one person is the only thing that CAN change the world. Attitudes are contagious, so the attitude you (not you, personally) choose to exhibit has an impact, and it spreads.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
melysion said:
Perhaps I'm too idealistic, but I'd like to think that not everyone who gives up their animal to a shelter is irresponsible. I'm sure there are circumstances whereby there is simply no other option.
When my children were young I was in an abusive marriage and ended up leaving that situation in the middle of the night with my children and the clothes on our backs and what could be thrown into a paper bag. Because we were escaping to a family member who liked cats, we managed to take our cat also. Many people don't have the option in those situations of going to a pet friendly place. It would be heartbreaking to leave a pet at a shelter, but it is a better option that staying in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Smirkitty said:
Heidi n Q said:
One person cannot change the world.
Heidi, I have to disagree, though I imagine it is mostly semantics. I think one person is the only thing that CAN change the world. Attitudes are contagious, so the attitude you (not you, personally) choose to exhibit has an impact, and it spreads.
No, I understand what you are saying. I was only making a comment about how one person cannot do it ALL, but even if they just do something, it helps, especially the for one their help directly affects.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts