Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use it? The good and the bad on it?

I was just looking at some of their grain free canned foods and they look YUMMY lolol like people food yummy LOLOL

I do feed Wellness Core but I was looking for an occasional swap up for different flavors and textures. I wouldn't feed weruva solely because it looks to have too many calories and might make for chunky monkeys but it sure looks yummy lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
I checked it out at the pet store, I noticed it's extremely low in fat. Less than 2% on the can I checked. I didn't buy it as I'm trying to fatten up some rescue kittens.

here is the nutritional analysis on the steak frites, I got on their website

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10%, Crude Fat (min) 1.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 1.2%, Taurine (min) 0.05%, Calcium (max) 0.20%, Phosphorus (max) 0.17%, Magnesium (max) 0.018%

Calories: 3.0oz Can 46, 5.5oz Can 84

here is the same from the Wellness Beef and Chicken canned

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 10.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 5.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 1.0%
Moisture Not More Than 78.0%
Ash Not More Than 1.95%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.025%
Taurine Not Less Than 0.10%
As Served Per Can (percent per can)
Protein: 11.1%
Fat: 9.4%
Fiber: 0.26%
Met. Energy (Kcal/kg): 1,240
Ash: 1.8%
Magnesium: 0.02%
Taurine: 0.14%
Caloric Analysis (kcal/can)
3 oz. can 105
5.5 oz. can 193
12.5 oz. can 439

The Weruva is much lower in calories and fat than Wellness, in fact it's 1/2 the amount.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it out at the pet store, I noticed it's extremely low in fat. Less than 2% on the can I checked. I didn't buy it as I'm trying to fatten up some rescue kittens.
But but.. it just LOOKS fattening lolololol
Heck some of their meals I could serve to my teenage boys and they would scarf it down before realizing it was cat food bahahahhaha

·
Registered
112 Posts
It looks like soup to me. It does look appetizing and I think it would be good for cats that need to watch their weight. But that isn't my little skinny minnies. LOL

Originally when I saw pics of it I thought it just had a higher water content and that is why it was so low in fat but looking at the nutritional analysis that doesn't seem to be the primary cause.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My two eat Weruva. It smells SO GOOD and actually looks sort of appetizing when I open the can. It's amazing to have cat food that looks like, get this..., food!

Pedro LOVES the peas in it and often will play with each individual one before eating it. In fact, now I keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer as treats for him!

Apple gets so excited when I crack open a can each night that she'll stand right up on her hind legs the way a dog does.

They each get a full can per day (half in the morning and half in the evening). We rotate through the chicken flavours and the 1 beef flavour when they have it at the pet store here. We don't do the fish flavours although I might add one single flavour into the rotation for each time I buy it.

They love it so much they lick their dishes completely bare. Not a crumb left. :) It definitely means for a slower meal though than pate or other chunk foods even. They have to take their time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My cats love Weruva. I can hear my Oreo lapping it up while my Little Pumpkin grabs a bite and throws it on the floor to attack it and then eat it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the multi flavor pack. I didn't see anything anywhere that would hurt them and I try and read anything I give my pets.

I never bought the brand before as I can't get it locally. I think it would make for a nice treat or something different then the same old thing everyday. It looks yummy, thats for sure!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear so many good things about them. I know very little about the company. they don't sell it here locally either so I never bothered researching it. I was looking at Petfood direct's website on grain free foods as I was comparing prices and ingredients to find a healthy and safe alternate to change to once in a while. I really love the Core but it comes in only 2 flavors and it looks exactly alike and mush. My kits hate the chicken version (brown can) but they love the blue can.

It seems they offer different flavors and meats then the normal beef, chicken and salmon.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
After a lot of research, I only feed Weruva canned (no grain chicken varieties only ) to my adult cats. However, it does contain Menadione. I like the way they source the food, that it's low in fat since my cats are all adults and Azalia does tend to get plump if her food is not carefully monitored. It's human grade food and that they process the food in a human food factory. It looks appetizing and it's not pate style, but I do understand all the controversy around Menadione. For me, since it's such a low amount to begin with and I also feed 1/2 raw, there should be no ill effect. It is also a crapshoot since some cats may be affected and not others as is the case with Aspartame in humans.

Since I have Sasha now, I mix the Weruva with EVO 95% since it's more calorie and fat dense. I also give him the Marbella Paella since he can use and metabolize take the fatty fish well.

Also, keep in mind, I feed 1/2 raw, but Weruva is the only canned food I trust at this point. The EVO is just more for pratical reasons since I am trying to fatten Sasha up, and as soon as I can get him off that (at about 9 months) that will be totally eliminated. I really don't trust Menu Foods.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I just bought 4 small cans of Weruva to try with the girls as foods to rotate in once a week or so - that was before reading the posts on Menadione - I bought the various chicken and the steak frites and nine liver - none of which show that they contain Menadione. I "googled" it and it says they only put it in their fish formulas and I don't feed my girls fish so I guess (hope) I'm safe??

I also noticed that they are based in Natick, MA - about 20 minutes from me - wonder if I go straight to the source if I can get it cheaper?? Haha I wish.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I bought the various chicken and the steak frites and nine liver - none of which show that they contain Menadione. I "googled" it and it says they only put it in their fish formulas...
Wow, princessbear. You are right! That actually makes me SOOOOO happy. I only feed the paw lickin' chicken, nine livers, and green eggs and chicken, and occasionally the steak frittes, and peking ducken just for variety. As soon as Sasha finishes the case of Marbella Paella, I won't be buying that flavor again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a lot of research, I only feed Weruva canned (no grain chicken varieties only ) to my adult cats. However, it does contain Menadione. I like the way they source the food, that it's low in fat since my cats are all adults and Azalia does tend to get plump if her food is not carefully monitored. It's human grade food and that they process the food in a human food factory. It looks appetizing and it's not pate style, but I do understand all the controversy around Menadione. For me, since it's such a low amount to begin with and I also feed 1/2 raw, there should be no ill effect. It is also a crapshoot since some cats may be affected and not others as is the case with Aspartame in humans.

Since I have Sasha now, I mix the Weruva with EVO 95% since it's more calorie and fat dense. I also give him the Marbella Paella since he can use and metabolize take the fatty fish well.

Also, keep in mind, I feed 1/2 raw, but Weruva is the only canned food I trust at this point. The EVO is just more for pratical reasons since I am trying to fatten Sasha up, and as soon as I can get him off that (at about 9 months) that will be totally eliminated. I really don't trust Menu Foods.
Good to know. I am always on the lookout for that stuff. I hate giving it to my pets. When I read the content I did look at the chicken ones rather then all of them. I guess that is why I overlooked it. I wonder why they add it to the fish and not the chicken?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Praline: This topic had been addressed awhile ago (before you joined this site). I googled and found this information regarding the Menadione in cat food.

Regarding menadione, it is a form of vitamin k that is a required vitamin in fish based cat foods if the formula does not naturally contain enough vitamin k and if a manufacturer intends to label the formula as a complete meal. At this time, the pet food regulations do not permit the supplementation of different forms of vitamin k. We have removed menadione from non-fish formulas, though some cans may have old labels. None of the chicken or beef items contain menadione. Please see below for more information about menadione and how we believe our use of it in our fish based formulas best protects cats, and fish based formulas that do not contain menadione may expose cats to serious health risks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That really sends out red flags for me. There are many good cat food brands that do not add it at all and are considered complete. Wellness and Evo are two brands off the top of my head but I know there are many more. I personally really do not like that stuff and always check to see if anything I feed my pets has it. The fish only recipes slipped by my watchful eye as I only looked at what was in the chicken. I figured it would be about the same stuff. In that article she is not address why there are other good cat food brands out there that omit this additive and are still complete meals? Strange..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
That really sends out red flags for me. There are many good cat food brands that do not add it at all and are considered complete. Wellness and Evo are two brands off the top of my head but I know there are many more. I personally really do not like that stuff and always check to see if anything I feed my pets has it. The fish only recipes slipped by my watchful eye as I only looked at what was in the chicken. I figured it would be about the same stuff. In that article she is not address why there are other good cat food brands out there that omit this additive and are still complete meals? Strange..
If the food contains a protein source that contains adequate Vitamin K, then a supplement is not necessary. The issue here is that most fish do not contain the designated amount to constitute a complete meal. I can't speak for EVO, but I know Wellness formula's don't have any that are fish only, they also contain another protein source, which is probably where the Vitamin K is coming from.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the food contains a protein source that contains adequate Vitamin K, then a supplement is not necessary. The issue here is that most fish do not contain the designated amount to constitute a complete meal. I can't speak for EVO, but I know Wellness formula's don't have any that are fish only, they also contain another protein source, which is probably where the Vitamin K is coming from.
I see your point but with Wellnesses fish, they don't add another source of protein. Here is their Core Salmon ingredients:

Salmon, Whitefish, Herring, Salmon Broth, Salmon Meal, Dried Ground Potatoes, Tuna, Natural Fish Flavor, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Cranberries, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Chicory Root Extract, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Panthothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
This is a naturally preserved product.

Here is Evo's Salmon:
Salmon
Salmon is a marine and freshwater fish high in protein and long chain omega-3 fatty acids.

Herring
Herring is the clean tissue of undecomposed whole herring or herring cuttings, either or both.

Herring is an excellent single-source protein. It is also an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Natura uses whole, high-quality herring, which are ground and added to the ingredient mix.

Herring Broth
We're sorry no definition is currently available for this ingredient. If you would like to discuss this ingredient or have any other questions, please contact one of Natura's knowledgeable Product Advisors at 800-532-7261 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (CT) or email us at [email protected]. Thank you.

Natural Fish Flavor
Sunflower Oil
(naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols) Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Natura uses sunflower oil to provide the essential fatty acid, linoleic acid, which is important for good skin and coat health.

Herring Oil
(naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols) Herring oil is the oil extracted from whole herring.

Herring oil provides a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Because the herring that Natura uses is of such high quality, the herring oil helps produce healthy skin and lustrous coats.

Guar Gum
Guar gum is derived from the ground endosperm of the guar plant. It is a gelatinous substance from the legume family that contains protein and polysaccharides. Guar gum is considered GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

Guar gum is used as an emulsifier, thickener, and stabilizer in foods.

Cassia Gum
We're sorry no definition is currently available for this ingredient. If you would like to discuss this ingredient or have any other questions, please contact one of Natura's knowledgeable Product Advisors at 800-532-7261 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (CT) or email us at [email protected]. Thank you.

Xanthan Gum

Potassium Chloride
A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Minerals
Minerals are inorganic substances essential for a host of vital processes within the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of minerals in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with minerals. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. The minerals Natura uses are chelated, providing three to ten times greater assimilation than common minerals. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Vitamins
Vitamins are organic compounds that function as parts of enzyme systems essential for the transmission of energy and the regulation of metabolisms of the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of vitamins in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with vitamins. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Choline Chloride
Choline chloride is a vitamin "like" essential nutrient.

It is necessary to nerve function and fat metabolism and can be manufactured in the body but not at a sufficient rate to meet health requirements.

Salt
Salt is a natural mineral, necessary for life and good health.

Salt provides several essential nutrients, such as sodium and chloride, as well as important trace minerals. The average sodium level in our food and treats is currently 0.9 g/Mcal, which is considered low by industry standards, but still supplies the nutrients your pet's body requires.

Taurine

The only protein source i see is fish.

I guess I just wonder about how truthful that blog is by stating in order for the food to be considered complete, the fish flavors have to have the mentadone. It clearly isn't used in other brands and their only source of protein is fish.

I have to admit ~ there food LOOKS yummy HA HA
I am extremely picky about pet foods. I have read that changing their diet up is healthy for a cat even though it isn't good for a dog. I figured this brand would make for a nice treat. I am sure that having mentadone once in a while won't hurt my cats...but I would really like to stay away from it.

Having the founder of the company explain them using it for that particular reason don't make me feel warm and fuzzy when I know darn tootin other companies don't add it to their stuff

·
Registered
514 Posts
There was a good article posted recently about Menadione:
The ONLY Approved Vitamin K Supplement in Pet Food

Note what Susan states about Innova. To me, that's the first sign that P&G is now running the show.

As others have stated, there is no reason to have to use Menadione, since there is plenty available from natural sources to meet the AAFCO requirement. I had asked Nature's Logic about it after Susan posted that article, and Scott Freeman (founder) told me that their food gets Vit K from alfalfa in their formulas.

·
Banned
154 Posts
The Girls LOVED Grandma's Chicken Soup!!

I mean they GOBBLED it up - drinking the soup first and then eating the chicken, peas and carrots! I see a couple of you feed Weruva as your primary canned food - I may switch to this food going forward but it doesn't have enough calories for my Boo and she's a skinny minny. I've been trying to supplement her canned diet with kibble (Wellness Core) but she won't eat the kibble out of a bowl - she'll only eat it if I toss each piece across the room. She is a character. Needless to say, she's needs the calories right now. I'm actually thinking of feeding it to Bella instead of the Wellness canned now as she is turning into a porkchop - she is somewhat food-obsessed.

So if I stay away from the fish flavors, do you all recommend this brand as a primary canned food?

Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I definitely still recommend this food, PrincessBear. Since I only feed the chicken, beef, and each month I get 1-2 cans of the fish, I definitely recommend this one. Mine also love the chicken soup except they call my mom Gran so we call it Gran's Chicken Soup. LOL One that's quite similar to that flavour is Funky Chunky. Similar ingredients, but differently coloured can. :) They were slower to warm up to Nine Livers, but now they enjoy it. I think Pedro just missed having peas! Now when they have Nine Livers or Peking Ducken he gets peas for treats that day so he doesn't miss out.

I'm not sure if it's because he's now over a year or if chasing peas around my kitchen floor have helped, but Pedro is definitely a much leaner kitty now. He looks like a big puff ball from his fur, but his ribs are easily palpable under all his fur. Before we switched to this several months ago he was a very very very roly poly boy and I definitely couldn't feel his ribs - again this could also be because he's now an adult though. He's definitely much leaner than his brother who is currently dry fed and his mother who is wet fed (RC /shudder and hopefully changing soon!) so I'm quite happy with the results of this food for him.

Apple has a dainty little build so I watch closely to make sure she has enough weight on her and she's definitely thriving on this. She's also quite energetic so I know she's getting plenty from this to keep her running (she doesn't know how to walk!).

Since it's already a little soupy I find it easy to add a little extra water on hot days. And/or I'll add an extra snack of half a can shared mid day that's super soupy. I like that it's flexible that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts